Cats Fighting at Night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats Fighting at Night

Hi all -

My two cats Mal (female, almost 2 years) and Alex (male, almost 1 years) have started fighting consistently each night. I've had both of them together for almost a year now, and both are fixed. From what I can tell, Alex is the aggressor. He starts jumping on her and chasing her, and even though she starts growling and hissing at him, he won't back off. It sounds awful, and I'm terrified that he's going to hurt her.

I did move about two months ago, and the initial move went well. They never seem to fight during the day, at least when I'm around. Every once in a while I catch them grooming each other, but at night all **** breaks loose. Quite bluntly, I love my Mal and I hate hearing her sound like she's being tormented. I'm tempted to give Alex back to the rescue group. What can I do? I live in a fairly small space, and I'm honestly not sure if constant separation is viable for long periods of time, especially given that I'll be going out of town on and off this summer. Feliway diffusers? Rescue remedy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Cat Addict

Yeah, I'd give the Feliway a try - a diffuser or an individual collar for Alex if you think he's the aggressor.

Also maybe try playing/exercising him hard before your bedtime, see if you can't wear him out a little bit.

Did the fighting start shortly after the move? Did the new place you moved into have cats previously?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 AM
Jr. Cat

Wink and Timmy(soon to be something else) go at it a lot. Timmy is 2 months older than Wink and a lot bigger, and he uses his "mitts" to hold her, she growls, hisses and spits and appears to be very upset. These "fights" are rough! Usually, she ends up clamping down on Timmy's leg or ear, and he takes off. Almost immediately, she starts hunting him and ends up jumping on him, or he jumps on her, and the process repeats endlessly. Sometimes, they are both yelling like they are being killed, and the first time it happened, I thought Timmy was hurting her, but the only one that ever bled was Timmy, who got bit on the foot, and she would almost instantly "attack" and I figured out their fights weren't real fights. Yesterday, Wink was screaming like she was being tortured and I went into the bedroom they were in to check on her and they were laying on the bed, licking each other as if nothing happened. After I went to bed, they went out into the living room for a while and I heard her scream a couple of times, and about the time I was starting to get concerned, she came in and got in bed with me and a few minutes later, here he comes, and they went to sleep all bunched up together, so she's just being very vocal when she plays.

If your cats aren't actually doing damage, I wouldn't worry too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page