Has my cat been abused in the past? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
cmb
Kitten

Has my cat been abused in the past?

Hi everyone,
I have had my cat for about 5 months now, we got her from a rescue home. Sadly we're beginning to think she may have been abused in a past home, or treated badly or something, because she jumps at every noise, even if it's just shutting the fridge door, and if you touch her back in the centre or on the lower back she twitches a lot. When you bend down to stroke her she'll raise her bottom in the air so you can't touch her lower back as easily. One time we got up late on the weekend so she didn't get her breakfast till a couple hours later than usual, and my mum said she was doing this weird thing with her back while she was meowing, as if she felt she had to do something (possibly be hit on the back?) to get the food. All the signs kind of point to being hit on the back I was wondering what people on here think? Because we love her lots and we would like to know if there's anything that we can do to make her feel more comfortable?
thanks for your help!
Chrissy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Cat Addict

She may well have been abused but some cats are naturally more nervy than others.

When you say she twitches, is it like a kind of ripple?

Has your vet checked her back?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Jr. Cat

Hi, Your cat may have what is called hyperesthesia syndrome, meaning that she is very sensitive to being touched in certain areas. This often causes twitching and/or rolling of the skin over the back. Being afraid of things may or may not be part of the problem. Please talk to the vet about this, there are meds that can help and let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Cat Addict

That's why I asked about the rippling - Lottie has it - however, she is in general very laid back and not nervy at all (despite the "turns"). Oz on the other hand could win medals for cowardice!

Last edited by marie73; 03-06-2013 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Premier Cat

Hi, one of my cats Nyska is really nervous. she flinches for every noise or sudden movements. I have had her since she was a little thing and has nver been abused, that is just her nature. The other two have no qualms about noise, movements, or new people coming in the house. Hopefully, nothing bad ever happened to your kitty, but if it did at least she is now in a safe environment where she is loved and taken care of.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
cmb
Kitten

Hi everyone, thanks so much! Yeah it's like a ripple, I am so relieved to know it could be something else and I will ask the vet if it's that, will let you know what they say
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Cat Addict

Got to ask - why did you need to edit me, Marie - had I mistyped something that made it horrific? If so, I'm sorry.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Premier Cat

The responses to touch seem perfectly normal to me. I have a couple cats that are super sensitive to touch, especially on their rump. It's not so I will avoid the back at all. Your cat is probably just sensitive to touch and to sudden noises. Lots of cats are. I wouldn't read too much into this.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
cmb
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
The responses to touch seem perfectly normal to me. I have a couple cats that are super sensitive to touch, especially on their rump. It's not so I will avoid the back at all. Your cat is probably just sensitive to touch and to sudden noises. Lots of cats are. I wouldn't read too much into this.
Oh OK i see, only had one cat in the past and he never seemed sensitive, so i thought something was really wrong or that she was uncomfortable in my home but I'm very glad to hear it's probably nothing bad
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Jr. Cat

My first cat, Orville, was very "twitchy" on his stomach and sides. If you touched him on his sides, he liked it, but if you touched his stomach, he would clamp onto you, and swing his back claws up and, well, I have scars all over my arms from him and a lot of those are from trying to clean him up.

Here he is with his best bud at the time, Gus. Orville was over 20 pounds in this pic. He was a brave guy, as Gus could have killed him with one bite, if he wanted to:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page