"Burying" leftovers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

"Burying" leftovers?

Ever since Yuki was a kitten she's tried to cover uneaten food in her bowl. She will scratch at the wall above the bowl if there's nothing around she can drag over to cover it. Lol she once placed one of my slippers on her bowl! The other day my boyfriend and I were having a snack and watching tv on the bed and there was a plate with leftovers sitting on the bed. Yuki started pulling the duvet over the plate and I had to take it away before she made a mess She's a nearly 5 year old Bengal. Does anyone else's cat do this? Her sister (my daughter's cat) doesn't do it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Senior Cat

"Burying" leftovers?

That's funny. Mine don't do that. They'll try to cover up something stinky but not food. That's cute!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Jr. Cat

Actually my kitten does that...like someone is going to take his food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Premier Cat

"save it for later."

Both of mine do this, Margaux especially, though she doesn't seem to have done this in a while. Most definitely make sure there's absolutely nothing on the floor around her food. I've had random pieces of paper, plastic bags, a towel end up on top of wet food. Why those things were on the floor in the first place is a mystery - so guess it's my fault.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Cat Addict

Yup, it's a pretty common behavior. Sort of bizarre and cute.

I remember when I was younger Blaze would be scratching on the wall by his food which unfortunately was on the other side of my bedroom... all hours of the night. Ugg.

I've seen Jasper do it a few times too. When I gave him some pre-made raw food I found in the freezer (no one else had liked it) I placed the bowl on some newspaper. I came back a little later and the bowl was covered by the newspaper... but it was an empty bowl. I think the concept was lost on him for the "save for later" bit. He eats everything right away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Premier Cat

Cabbit is the only one of my cats that does that. It reminds me of the national geographic documentaries where the mountain lions and other big cats bury the leftover prey to finish later.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Senior Cat

My cats do this when they aren't feeling well and are done eating. Otherwise there isn't anything left
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Four of my cats try and cover up food when they are done eating; three of the four are former ferals. It is a common tactic for cats in the wild and you can even see tigers covering up their kills in natural history shows. Lions will do this as well, but only if there is still actual meat on the leftovers. I have watched ferals do it when they have killed something they cannot eat the entire amount in one sitting. One of my uncle's cats loved to hunt pheasant and would eat the entrals and breast first and then cover it up when he was full. Inevitably one of the other cats would find his covered stash and have a serving as well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Senior Cat

"Burying" leftovers?

1 of my three do this. The one who did was found as a tiny stray as a small kitten by herself. Anytime she is done with the food or doesn't like something she will stand over the bowl and scratch the floor as if she's covering it. It's quite bazaar to watch.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Tom Cat

"Burying" leftovers?

My cat is 1 and has done this ever since I got him as a baby. He also tries to cover his puke. I once spilled nail polish remover on the rug. He tried to cover that up forever! He covers anything that has a a distinct smell to it.

I caught him doing it to a dish I left on the living room floor after eating on the couch. It's like he's saying "hey stupid, this smells, and you're lucky I'm saving you from the predators! If they smell this too, they'll find us!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page