Saphy is Grieving - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Saphy is Grieving

Hi everyone. We lost our 19 year old cat, Kiki, three weeks ago. Our other cat, Sapphire (Saphy) had been Sisters with Kiki for over 16 years. Saphy is crying at night, wandering in the hallway, every night since. She never did this before. I wake up and call for her and she comes and gets some lovin's from me. I am being cheerful around her, trying to play with her, but she shows little interest in that. She rather gets groomed and petted, though not liking being held, or on my lap. I am hoping that she overcomes looking and longing over Kiki, although it is hard for us as well. We all were together for so long. How else can I help? I am also concerned of Saphy being alone during the day while we have to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Vivid; 03-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Senior Cat

I had sibling cats and the brother died. The sister cried/called for him for weeks, maybe 2 months, before she stopped. We worked, so she was alone during the day. Now, I might get a kitten/cat for company, but back then, we didn't even consider it. Just gave her extra attention. They take time to grieve just like we do. I think you just have to let her grieve it out and comfort her as best you can.

I'm sorry for your loss, it hurts a lot to lose a member of the family. Take care of yourself and give her some extra loving.

Mylita
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Premier Cat

She is grieving just like a human would grieve. We all grieve over the loss of a loved one - cats are not different. It will take time, meanwhile you are doing the right thing. Talk sweetly to her and give her as much love as she will tolerate. Tell her what happened and you will be surprised how much she will understand and adapt. God bless you both during this difficult time.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks, Mylita & Marcia. We appreciate it.
We are considering a kitten adoption in the future. Just too soon now. We will do our best to take care of Saphy in the mean time. Someday she will be big Sissy to a little one.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

DON'T rush into to this! It is probably way too soon, and an old cat and a kitten can be a dicey mix. Think great-grandma and a toddler suddenly thrown together. No, I would wait and reconsider in 6 - 12 months.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by marie73; 03-10-2013 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Definitely, Marcia. We know it is way too soon right now. Thanks for your tips and thoughts.

Last edited by marie73; 03-10-2013 at 08:16 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Tom Cat

Razzle and Geets were with each other for 16 years til Razzle died in July. They were best buddies. Lately it seems Geets comes up to me and wants me to take my head and rub his neck like Razzle would rub. It breaks my heart because he misses what Razzle did for him. He's doing better than i am though. I know Geets misses the play fights they had. Give your cat more attention. If you do adopt get a cat close in age to the one you have. Maybe you could get her a fake cat or stuffed something to cuddle with.

Whether person or animal we all seek, well almost all, company from our own species.
Mostly we don't want to be alone.

Kathy

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Senior Cat

Saphy is Grieving

Oh this just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry for you and for Saphy. My heart goes out to you. I have no advise to magically take the pain away, just let grief run it's course. In time you will all feel a little better.

With all of my kitties being right around the same age I'm going to be a blubbering fool for a few years when they start crossing the bridge. I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page