Atlas is back after a home break-in.. I need advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Atlas is back after a home break-in.. I need advice

Some of you might remember me.. When Apollo was a kitten he had a lot of behavioral issues, that were finally solved after taking in a new kitten, Atlas.

Apollo will be 2 this Summer, Atlas is 9 months old now.

Jan 27th, my home was broken into. The sorry waste of human life that did it kicked down my front door, stole everything I own and went out my side door to the patio, leaving it wide open.

Apollo stayed home, he was familiar with the area. Atlas was still in-tact and had never been outside my apartment. He took off. Nowhere to be found. I put out ads, made calls, put up flyers.

Almost 4 weeks later I got a call saying she picked up my cat and brought him home to her apartment. That same night I went over to see if I could find him.... Much to my surprise, she's a hoarder. She only has 3 cats in her apartment, but she collects them and lets them roam her neighborhood, making babies and getting killed by a neighbor. (She lives in the ghetto.)

Two weeks, this woman played games with me. I told her there was a reward for his capture & return, and she told me to my face she didn't want my money. Twice she put him in her car, called me, and by the time I got there 20-30 mins later, she said she'd let him out AN HOUR PRIOR to calling me.

Then I heard NOTHING from her for 2 weeks. I called, emailed, texted and went to her apartment. Never saw Atlas (I knew he was there, he'd actually run to me at one point and squeaked, but the lady started yelling "DID YOU CATCH HIM YET?!" and he's take off,) and never heard from her.

I was in touch with a wonderful woman from AARF that walked me through the whole thing. I was ready to give up. I took her advice and sent an email in BIG BOLD CAPS : "$75 is yours if you get him in a carrier and leave him there until I pick him up." She emailed me back within the hour with a major attitude, asking what if it's not the right cat, what then? ow much money do I get then? - Next day (this past Friday) I dropped off the carrier, a box of food and 6 cans of wet food.

.... Sigh. Not even 2 hours later she sends me a text saying "Got him."

Longer story short, she's a psycho. She only wanted the money. She sent me pictures of him climbing on her leg, sitting on her lap, kneading on her shirt. She just didn't want to give him up, even though he was getting beat up by her other ferals and strays.. Trap never worked because she kept leaving tons of food everywhere.. Anyway.

$100 later after the vet bill, he has a detached inner eyelid; second case the Vet has ever seen, ear mites so bad they had to clean his ears out and they have me doing it daily here at home, but otherwise he seems okay. His combo test came back negative but I have to have him re-tested in 2-3 months. They gave him his rabies vaccine and an upper respiratory something or other shot.

MY MOST RECENT ISSUE : I couldn't get him neutered obviously on a Friday evening, so I have to make some calls tomorrow. He's biting me, not attacking me, but biting. It's making me question if he can see out of his right eye (with the detached lid) because he doesn't seem to be focusing on anything. I can put a bowl of food directly in front of him, but he'll head butt it 4-5 times before he realizes what it even is. Now - I don't know if this is just because he's disoriented by being back inside, maybe he's getting overstimulated and is "love biting" me, or maybe I'm just not petting him enough and he wants more. I don't know what it is.. He hasn't broken skin or drawn blood, but he did mistakenly get my finger instead of his food and that hurt pretty badly.

I'm trying to spend as much time with him as I can, but he works himself up so much that I limit my time with him to 10-15 increments several times a day.

Hopefully I can get him neutered this week. My question - Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to ease him in until I can get him neutered? He's separated from Apollo in the living room where he can look out the window and lounge on the couches. I want him to be comfortable and as calm as he can be until he has to go through more trauma..

He wants so bad to crawl on me and just purr, make biscuits and snuggle.. But it's like he doesn't understand how to anymore.. He definitely did not revert back to feral 100% - but he is getting very irritable now. I just don't know what to do to help calm him for the next couple days..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Cat Addict

I am sorry that all that has happened to you and Atlas.
It sounds like he is traumatized? Maybe start over as if he is feral and give him calm, safe place to be. Let him come to you. It may take some time. Get some of that calming spray. I know I had to adapt things to my older dog who can't see well. He can't tell if a door is open until I show him by walking in and out of it that it is ok for him to go through. What a lunatic lady you described.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That wasn't even half of it. I went to her apartment several times and she seemed more interested in talking about all the cats she has and which ones are pregnant, how many litters have died and where their carcasses are, her neighbor that's been leaving out anti-freeze and shooting them with BB guns than she was helping me find Atlas.

Every time I went, she made some kind of comment that made me feel like she was 100% not interested in me getting him home safe and sound. "He's out here having the time of his life with all these other cats and his girlfriends." Things like that.

The lady from AARF that was working with me, was familiar with this woman's situation because they've trapped and spayed SEVERAL of her cats, but since Atlas has been there, apparently she has gained 12-15 new cats that they've never seen/heard of before. So.. She's screwed basically. They're going to trap as many as they can and transfer them to a safer area with a different colony of ferals.

Anyway - Atlas HAS been coming to me, that just started today. Last night, he finally left the carrier & that surrounding area and moved to the other couch and USED THE LITTER BOX! YAY! It took him from Friday afternoon to Saturday evening for him to finally eat anything, but by then we had to take him BACK to the vet for his vaccines - His temperature was 104.3 Friday when I brought him in and they didn't want to do shots with his temp so high.

He's come up to me as I was reading a book and sprawled out against my leg and kneaded on my leg, purring while I rubbed his head. That's the first time since he's been home that he was calm while getting some lovings. Past that, he chases me down until I sit there, he head butts my hand/arm/leg/whatever he can reach, as violently as he can until I rub around his head and ears, seems like that calms him down some. I know the ear mites are driving him INSANE. He's constantly shaking his head and drooling, scratching his ears. Hopefully the Revolution and whatever they used to clean his ears with will kill off anything remaining in there and give him some well-deserved relief.

His eye breaks my heart. They didn't feel it was a good idea to put him under to try to repair it since he just came back from being outside for the past month. So I have to keep a close eye on it to make sure it's not getting infected. Truthfully it looks fine, aside from the obvious detached lid. No scratch in or around his eyeball. THANKFULLY. No redness or swelling. Just a little extra eye goop in both eyes, but nothing substantial.

I'm so happy he's home.. But I'm so sick to my stomach over this woman.. She accused ME of hurting his eye, told me it wasn't like that when I picked him up.. As if SHE didn't try to open his carrier TWICE while I was holding it and trying to leave, saying that she wanted to get the "gunk" out of his eye.. I didn't realize it was a detached lid until I got to the vet. Anyway.. She called me SIX times from 4 different numbers after I got out of the vet and asked me to keep her updated. Ummm... Yeah, no. Psycho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Cat Addict

Any way the authorities can get her on animal abuse - or the neighbor! I think someone poisoned two of my mama's kittens. That is why I took her in and her one son. I really didn't want cats but they sure can be sweet.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Cat

Shenanigans, I hope the authorities do act against this lady. I'd probably file a police report if you haven't. She should be ordered to never have another cat or other animal with jail time hanging over her head for violations. But every jurisdiction is different and pets are treated as property instead of the living members of our homes that they are. I'm sorry you and Atlas had to go through this. Hopefully, time will heal most of the wounds, both physical and emotional. That you went through this is truly outrageous!!

Mylita
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Tom Cat

Wow, I know there are crazy people out there but this just made me sick. I'm sorry that you had to go through this but I'm glad that you didn't give up. This lady definitely needs to be held accountable for her actions and needs the SPCA called on her.

How dare she keep your cat from you. That would be enough to make me go after her with the law.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Cat Addict

I think you're doing right with him. The neutering is a big step. Love and attention is another. Possibly a Feliway diffuser in his room in the short term. But I think what's primarily needed with the poor little guy after all he's been through is time, consistency, and a sense of home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I am personally removing myself 100% from her situation - I got my Atlas back and that's all I wanted. My connection at AARF is taking care of the rest... However... Because she was so wonderful to me and referred me to her personal Vet and extended AARF vouchers to me, I told her I was willing to help donate some time and money for when they go after Cynthia and her cats. I just want nothing to do with HER. It took everything I had to not punch her.

The first picture attached is the first one I was able to take of him while he was a little relaxed.. He wasn't keeping his eye open for the majority of the first day home. The second picture is from last night.. It worries me that his eyes are different colors now... I have no idea how that happens or what caused it in the pictures, but every one that I took came out that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	9874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	9882  

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh, also.. One more thing. He weighed 8.2lbs at the Vets on Friday. He's 9 months old so I guess that's acceptable, but.. I can feel every one of his bones on his back.. She was feeding them Friskies/Meow Mix & cheap canned foods.. But I know he wasn't eating much since he looks so raggedy. And having to fight for food with the other cats. I'm sure he had some birds and such. I have him back on his regular Blue sensitive stomach dry food and Wellness canned.

Given the situation .. Should I leave food out constantly for him to munch on, or should I feed him twice a day at regular times? (5am, 5pm) He isn't devouring every bit of food at once, so I don't want to over do it, but I'd really like for him to gain a couple ounces back so he doesn't look so awful. He's also pretty dehydrated, but not enough for the vet to do fluids, I just need to make sure he's getting enough water. (He finishes his bowl of water pretty fast, AND I'm adding in warm water to his canned food.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Tom Cat

I would probably feed him 3 times per day if possible just until he gains some of his weight back. Maybe give him canned food twice per day & dry once per day.

I think his different eye colors are really neat. He is very pretty.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page