need help and advise - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

need help and advise

I took my biggest cat buddy to the vet to be groomed last Thursday. he had a lot of mats on him and I wanted them trimmed and then a bath and nails cut. Well, while they were using the clippers on his back legs, I guess he didn't like it or got cut or something because he bit the person and scratched her up pretty good. The vet called me and told me that they had to report it to animal services. Animal services said he had to be quarantined for 10 days either at the shelter or at my vets. This cat is a rescue cat that has taken us almost a year for him to be comfortable and happy. He is also the sweetest cat I have ever met. He would never hurt anyone unless he was scared or got hurt himself. Well, We were able to talk to them into letting us quarantine him at home after one night of staying locked up. he seems to be ok and I am glad for that but here is my questions -- has anyone else ever gone through this? Does animal services have any legal rights -- they said I have to keep him separated from us and our other cat -- I can't spend any time with him except to feed him and change his litter -- i have to muzzle him to go to the vets now -- they will just show up at my house to see if I am following their rules -- can they do this? I live in the state of North Carolina and did some research -- if the cat is a stray and bites , it only was to quarantined for 72 hours but a persons pet is 10 days? I'm really upset by this , I feel like I'm living in a police state, I'm afraid to do anything because I don't want them to take my baby. Please help me if you can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Premier Cat

I was bitten by a cat years ago and ended up in the hospital for a week. There was even talk of amputation because they were having trouble getting the infection under control. Luckily I am not a one armed typist now! Yes, Animal Control has every right to ensure that Buddy is properly vaccinated and that Buddy is not a general threat. As one that got bit, I appreciate the extra care that the state of VA took to ensure that the animal that bit me was properly licensed and immunized. It was a load off my mind to know he was rabies free. Also I would be very surprised that there is only a 72 hour waiting period for strays. Perhaps they go ahead and euthanize them after only 72 hours and testing for rabies. If that is the case then 10 days for a pet seems reasonable. A cat bite can be very, very serious - don't fault Animal Control.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm not faulting them -- I can appreciate their work, however my cat is current on his rabies shot and always has been. He bit one the people at his vets office and they know he is current. I feel really bad for the girl who got bit but I guess my question was can animal services legally enforce their rules? I don't have a muzzle to take him to the vets with and I don't want to lose my cat because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Senior Cat

need help and advise

I don't know anything about animal control laws but I think I'd be way more upset with the vet than anyone else. First of all. If he was very agitated and they were shaving him they should have gave him an anesthetic period the end. No one would have ever gotten bit then. In my experience I took Godzilla to vet to have him shaved because I attempted myself and he was just terrified of the clippers and he wasnt having it. So I told them that at the vets and that I specifically wanted them to give him an anesthetic. What do they do??? Hold him down for 3/4 of the way through and then give him the anesthetic which doesn't even make sense. Probably just to charge me the extra money... Anyway I knew they held him down because when he got home he was not the same cat at all. I tried to hold him to clip his nails and he started shaking and having a melt down and he's NEVER done that before. He used to be a cat that was never scared of anything. I could take him to Petco and walk around and he didn't have the slightest care in the world. But since then he's never quite been the same again. I was absolutely FURIOUS and obviously I never went back to that vet again. They told me "oh yea he was fine until 3/4 of the way through then we had to put him under" hahaha YEA RIGHT he was fine until then... I was SO mad. Still makes my blood boil when I think about it.... Some people are idiots and I would blame your problem squarely on your vet especially when they know he has had his shots. That's just ridiculous! Their own fault she got bit because they should have put him under.... That simple in my opinion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cat

A ten day quarantine period is standard for possible rabies exposure in a lot of places. Rabies can be passed to humans and other animals, which is why they want the cat kept away from you and your other pets. That all sounds normal, although I'm sure it's very stressful on you.

What puzzles me is that you do have proof of vaccination. As far as I know in my area, the quarantine is for either unvaccinated cats or cats whose owners can't prove whether or not they are vaccinated, not for cats who have their shots.

It may be different in North Carolina, but have you specifically told Animal Control that you can prove your pet is vaccinated against rabies? I know your vet knows, but did you mention it to AC? It may not make a difference where you live, but here it would.

I don't know about enforcement in your area, but here they definitely do enforce it, so I wouldn't take chances. I would do what they say. However, I would find another vet I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Zilla -- thanks for your reply -- I told them when I made the appointment that he might need to be sedated. The only thing I can figure is that they tried to manhandle him and he reacted to being held down. He is a super sweet cat and doesn't just explode like that.

Green-- I did tell them and the vet told them that he was current. I'm just so terribly upset and feel like I'm being persecuted and I can't let my cat live his normal life. I do have to take him back to the vet twice to be checked over but everyone there now thinks he is a monster who will attack at any moment. I do think I will find another vet because I know that their stress and worry will negatively affect my baby.

Thanks for your comments and help.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Senior Cat

need help and advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebs1992 View Post
I do have to take him back to the vet twice to be checked over but everyone there now thinks he is a monster who will attack at any moment. I do think I will find another vet because I know that their stress and worry will negatively affect my baby.
^^^ my point exactly..... Idiots who don't need to be in a vet office.... Sorry for all your trouble your going through. I would defiantly find another vet though after that non sense. I would react too if someone was trying to hold me down and shave my head just saying... For them to not understand that and think he's a monster afterwards just shows how much they need to get a new profession..... I'd probably tell them before you were done with them that "hey if you would have followed procedure and gave him an anesthetic like I said to then my monster wouldn't have had the chance to bite anyone" then Id write them a "nice" review on their google page A vet clinic like that doesn't need to be getting any business in my opinion.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Zilla -- I'm just so mad and upset because they can just show up and any moment to see if I am following their rules -- it scares me because I don't want them to take my cat away. I'm just a mess right now and feel helpless. i will take your advice and find a new vet.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, the more you've said about the situation, the more I think you need to find a new vet.

A vet really has no choice but to report a bite; it's the law. I also don't think that when a pet has had a biting incident, it's inappropriate to take steps to minimize the opportunity for another bite in the future.

That said, in my opinion it is way out of line to treat your cat like a "monster" simply because he bit in a situation where he was obviously stressed, and where they made an error in judgment thinking they could groom him safely without sedating him. That doesn't make him a bad cat, and they shouldn't be treating him like one.

You need to find a vet who isn't afraid of cats who act like normal cats, in my opinion.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Green -- we are going to find a new vet after this is over -- I still have to take him back to the old vet two more times before he is released from this mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page