Will I Ever Sleep Again? LOL - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Will I Ever Sleep Again? LOL

Hey guys!!

Happy to report Parker has only had one peeing accident since the second litter box/plastic/Feliway!

However, he's being "bad" in other ways now. Obviously, this is typical cat behavior, but he wakes us up every night at 3AM and again at 6AM-ish to eat! We don't feed him until 7:30 typically but the little jerk jumps on the bed, touches our heads, attacks our feet, jumps off, repeat. LOL. We don't give in but it really screws with our sleep.

Will I ever sleep again? Parker is on a wet food only diet so I can't give him dry food at night. We give him a little "midnight snack" before bed which has alleviated the problem only sometimes.

Any other tips or tricks to getting a kitty to mellow out in the night? We also already have the Feliway diffuser.

Thanks a ton, guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Premier Cat

The answer is NO. If he is young it may be years before he settles down for an all night snooze. As soon as the morning sun starts to come up our cats are all over us to feed them. The first thing in the morning I do is feed them! That is the only way we get peace. On the weekend I will go downstairs, feed them then return to bed and close the door! ahhh, peace and quiet and sleep!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Cat

We had a similar problem with Gazoo meowing and scratching outside the bedroom door at 4am. There were a few things we did to break him of this habit. Each night about 20 minutes before we go to bed, he gets play time where he chases Da Bird around, followed by a meal. Then in the morning, I stopped feeding him as soon as I got up. Making him wait a couple of hours broke the association of us getting up with meal time. But the thing that has had the best effect (and I have to give my wife credit for coming up with this) is that we no longer let him nap after 5 pm. Every time he closes his eyes, we make a noise or do something to keep him awake. We rarely hear from him in the mornings until one of us gets up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

RIP Ziggy 1998-2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Cool Cat

No, probably you will never sleep again.

Just kidding. Kind of. It's not easy to get a cat to let you sleep through the night, but it can be possible.

Is there another room you can put him in (with a litterbox and toys, of course) during the night? For the first few days he will fuss about this, but gradually he'll get used to not having access to you during the night and it will become routine.

I definitely think that making sure he doesn't nap is a good idea. That's what I have to do with Zephyr. If he doesn't sleep during the evening, he's more likely to sleep at night.

I also generally tire the cats out with an active game like Da Bird before bedtime, which makes them more likely to want to catch some rest instead of stay awake yowling.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Cat

I like how we are all bluntly honest... "NO YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN... EVER" Want to loose sleep?? Get a cat. The greatest thing since screaming children to make you have little sleep. Haha

Mine are a mess in the mornings. Especially Godzilla. Normally he's the nice well behaved one but that all goes out the window in the mornings. He will constantly sneak up and lick my face when I shoo him away every time. That or bite my toes or fingers. Drives me nuts. Skeeter just uses the bed as a running track and a spring board in the mornings. That doesn't bother me as much as the biting and the licking. This will all go on until I feed them. Once I do they sprint and scream around the room for about ten or so minutes then usually they come back to bed.... And right now it's all magnified because we are living in the inlaws house and we confine our cats to our bedroom unless we are awake.... praying for an apartment soon!

Good luck in your endeavorers!!! Haha

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Premier Cat

Yes, you can sleep again by banning him from sleeping with you at night. My cats like to have a nap with me, but they don't sleep with me at night. They go to another room for that. This will work if you don't free feed him by leaving out food for him to nibble. If he's a young kitten, feed him when you get home from work a small meal, then put him in another room that has a door that can be closed with a cat bed, water, litter box, and feed him a larger meal just before you go to bed. If you do this the same every night it will be routine to him and he will willingly go to his night room because he knows he gets fed there. Sweet dreams!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Jr. Cat

I have no advise because I have the same problem here with our new kittens. They quickly learned that when I get up to run in the morning, it's breakfast time. Unfortunately, they are terrible at telling time and will start the wake-up-our-human routine at 4 am most mornings. I ignore them until my normal 5am wake up time, but that doesn't stop their attempts. I feel it's my own fault because I could solve the problem by shutting them out of my bedroom or changing their feeding routine, but I haven't, so I deal with it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Cool Cat

Doodler, I think the solution to your problem would be as simple as feeding them after your run rather than before. If you do that, they'll probably sleep later and won't associate you getting up directly with being fed.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh GOSH. Thanks for all these replies. I had a senior cat who would howl until we woke up.

Parker is in his terrible twos. LOL.

I wish we could put him in the other room but 1. We have had troubles with him peeing on furniture so I don't want to chance it with him on the sofa without us there. 2. His litter boxes, water, etc. are in our room since that is where he spends his time when we are at work (again, to assist him with the peeing thing). Ahhh, the joys of a two room apartment.

I suppose I will just suck it up that I will have to sacrifice my sleep! Haha!!!

I'd wait a few hours to feed him in the morning but unfortunately, we leave only 45 minutes or so after we wake up. Perhaps we can try to wait until right before we leave to feed him & keep it in the room to break him of this. HA!

Gotta love all of the conditioning it takes to "control" a cat. Just kidding...we all know they do the controlling.

Last edited by parkersmom; 03-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Cat

I'm happy to report that I made some progress on this; our cat doesn't wake us up as much as she used to when we adopted her in December. I think the trick is to not give in, ever. It's a test of will. I also feed her second meal of wet food much later at night, around 9 or 10 pm before we go to bed. When we come back from work she only gets a bit of kibble in a food ball.

Our cat is allowed in our room at night, and I even don't mind if she purrs and wants cuddles while I sleep. But the minute she wants to play or tries to make me get up (licking my face and pawing my hair/face), I move her to the end of the bed. If she comes back with more of that, I put her outside the room and close the door. If she scratches the door she goes to the office for the remaining of the night (usually one hour). She learned that she never gets her way before the alarm rings, so she mostly stopped trying. During the weekend she will sometimes insist more, but even then... last weekend we slept in until 11h with only a few attempts on her part (I even felt a bit guilty!). It helps to be a sound sleeper during the training period. We can always fall back to sleep no matter how many times she tries to wake us up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page