Need some advice/help with new cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Need some advice/help with new cat

Hi all,
So here's the deal. We just brought home a new cat (he's 2) on Saturday afternoon. Our other cat (she's 2 1/2) saw him, hissed, and we quickly made sure he had his own room and was comfortable.

Since then, he has refused to eat or drink, though he did use the litter box at some point. After two different 30-minute visits with him yesterday, he finally warmed up and came out from his little apartment under the sink—I cleared everything out and made him as comfy as can be.

He headbutted me, was purring, rolled around a bit, and seemed happy. He still wouldn't eat, though, and when I reached over to move his bowl an inch he nipped me, which has since happened again.

The thing is, he's mostly been sweet, but this morning he hissed at me when I opened the door to come in. Not sure what's going on and I know I'm just probably overreacting, but some tips would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Premier Cat

Was the cat from a shelter or rescue? You didn't mention where it came from or was it a stray you found? If a stray, it may be someone's cat and you should do all you can by reporting him to shelters or rescues or vet offices or place posters in vicinity you found the cat. He doesn't sound like a feral cat if he headbutted you and rolled around, but someone's pet abandoned or not? From now on no free-feeding...he is going to get his meals from you. He may eat more willingly if you offer him some 'high value' food that is highly palatable....such as "Fancy Feast", bits of cheese, small amount of salmon, or canned cat food. Hand hand feed him these morsels and let him lick them off your finger. He's not likely to bite the hand that feeds him, as he will anticipate you are giving him food. I would wait a few weeks to see if anyone contacts you it's their cat, and if you haven't heard from anyone in that time, then adopt him as your own. Delay any introductions to your other cat and keep them separate, as you have no idea if he has had shots, been wormed, has fleas, is Feline Leukemia negative, etc. If you adopt him, get him all up to date on his shots, etc. and neutered if he has not been before letting him near your girl.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 03-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry I should have made it clear that we adopted him from a refuge! He's up to date on everything for sure and healthy, just incredibly nervous.

I have offered him the canned food our cat eats, Wellness' chicken, and something else they refuge gave us, but he hasn't touched either as far as I can tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Premier Cat

He'll be fine. Give it time, keep them isolated for a few days and let everything settle down. In a few days lock up resident kitty and let new kitty wander around for a few hours. Do it again the next day, then when new kitty is locked back up leave a gap in the door (just 2"or so) so they can sniff each other. I use baby gates (you can usually buy the cheap from a thrift store) and stack them one on top of another. If all goes well by the 5th day or so you can let them roam but watch them. If fur flies isolate again for a day or so. Hopefully they will become fast friends!! Congrats!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Cat

There is a good section on introducing cats to each other somewhere on this forum. It has some excellent advice.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all!

He still hasn't eaten but he had some water. He also hissed at me twice, though the other times he was extremely loving and sweet.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Cat Addict

Just be careful he doesn't go very long without eating anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What's the longest he could go before I need to take him to the vet? Sigh, I'm hoping he eats tonight.

Last edited by amartin520; 03-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Cat Addict

my vet tells me a cat can get in trouble if he goes longer than 24 hours, i'd say definitely 48 is too long.

see if you can find something (anything, lunch meat, leftover chicken, just nothing with onions and i don't recommend tuna because they will start turning up their noses at anything else) he will eat.

offer food on the back of your hand, not the palm or end of finger to avoid getting accidentally chomped on.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Senior Cat

Need some advice/help with new cat

Have you tried baby food? The chicken and gravy stuff is great for getting them to eat something. A lot of people here have tried that and had good results.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page