Cat attacks me without warning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat attacks me without warning

Hello. I have some problems with my cat that I've had since she was a kitten, and is now 10 years old, named Marmalade.

The problem is that sometimes my cat will attack my arm without much to any warning that I can tell. Sometimes we'll be snuggled up together with a blanket on the couch, I'll be reading a book, and then she'll have her claws in my arm. I may have tried to re-adjust my position slightly, I don't know if that is what set her off.

Othertimes, I have been woken up in the middle of the night to the feel of her claws in my arm. Because I was asleep directly before the attack, I don't know of what I may have done to provoke her.

Another thing that can set her off is when I sneeze. I will sneeze, go to blow my nose, and then have the cat staring at my with very black eyes, meowing uncomfortably at me. I am now able to avoid being hurt after I sneeze.

The strange thing about these attacks, besides not knowing what may have caused them, is that she never attacked my parents or brother when we lived with them, except she would go for my dad when he sneezed. (He did sneeze particularly loud and violently) And now that I've gotten married, she has never attacked my husband, but has attacked me.

I don't know when the problem started, but I'm sure that she never attacked me while my other cat lived. He died when she was about 2 years old, and soon after that my family (I was still a teenager then) moved into an apartment, one where my cat was now an indoor cat. I used to think that she was retaliating for not being allowed to go outside anymore, so when I moved out to a place that would allow her to gout outside, I started to let her, but it didn't seem to help her aggression towards me. She has sometimes gone months without hurting me, or she has hurt me twice in a week.

I know thats not much to go on, but I hope that you can help me to sort this out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

Some cats when they start to get in the senior years can get a little cranky. It may be some pain they are experiencing such as arthritis in legs or hips or bad teeth. I would have her checked by a vet, have a complete blood panel done, to rule out any underlying health issue.

Some cats just don't like to be disturbed once they're all settled. I've had some like that who complain if I move, but haven't bitten me. You could try the next time she's settled and you have to move....just beforehand tell her that you're going to have to move and you're sorry....sounds crazy but oftentimes it works. As far as sneezing, one of my cats (Alkee) always get very concerned with my sneezes and will meow at me and come to me, but in your case it could be it's just the sound she doesn't like. Cats have sensitive hearing, and I know some high notes on my flute Alkee doesn't like and will complain loudly....no attacks tho. Hope some of these suggestions work for you.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the suggestions.

In response to the health of my cat, I took her to the vet in november (so about 5 months ago) to get her a full check-up before letting her outside again. While she was an inside cat, so for more than 5 years, my parents didn't keep her shots up to date or take her to the vet very often. The vet did a full health check-up and took a blood sample. We then gave her all the shots over a course of 4 visits over a month. Also, the vet said that she had some teeth problem. We took her for a cleaning, but they also ended up having to pull a really bad tooth.

Except for her teeth, she was in good health. I think that if it was her teeth making her aggressive, now that they are dealt with, it would have died down.

As for the being settled part, that may be a part of it. I know that she snuggles with my Husband more than me because he can sit still for longer. I'll try to give her warning or just try to not move when she settles into my lap. When I'm lying in bed though, sometimes when I'm waking up, she'll be snuggled up against me, and I will pet her. Maybe I over-stimulate her then and am just not able to see the signs as I'm not looking directly at her, it's dark and i'm mostly asleep. I will try to pet her when I can keep my eye on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page