Cat pooping problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat pooping problems

I have a female kitty. Tried to toilet train her with the litter kwitter and had many difficulties for a year ( poop on the floor and in the bath) now I gave in and got her a litter. She is still pooping on the floor. I am so tired of this.

Can anybody help me please?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Litter Kwitter may be convenient to the owner....no litter to have to scoop etc., but it isn't really what you need for the cat. You need to be able to see how much pee and poo they do in a day for their health. You would never know if a cat's peeing excessively with it using a toilet. I've found the clumping clay litter the best to determine this, and cats seem to prefer the consistency as well as it is a more "natural" texture and feel they would use if they were in the wild. With some other litters such as grain or pine it is difficult to determine the amount of urine.

Have you tried the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter? I would start with that and have another litter pan, as quite a few cats prefer to pee in one and poo in another. After the cat is using the pan, you can just dress the top of the litter with the cat attract litter and use a less expensive brand of clumping clay litter. When you do see the cat use the litter box, praise her lavishly. Hope this helps.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Have you tried the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter? I would start with that and have another litter pan, as quite a few cats prefer to pee in one and poo in another. After the cat is using the pan, you can just dress the top of the litter with the cat attract litter and use a less expensive brand of clumping clay litter.
We have a pair of large size litter boxes for our one kitten. While she doesn't use 1 for 1 and 2 for 2, I have noticed that if she has to do both, she does them in separate spots. First she'll hunker down on one side of the box and pee, then move to another spot to dig a hole to poo in.

I second the idea of starting with the Cat Attract. We use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat in one of the litter boxes. It's un-scented and ultra low on dust. From what I understand Cat Attract is the same stuff, with something akin to cap nip mixed in so the scent will attract the cat to the litter box.

The 2nd litter box we use Purina Tidy Cat 24/7. When you consider that Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat seems to be more dense, the cost of Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat and Tidy Cat are about equal (we seem to be staying with duel kitty litters because we just keep buying which ever is currently on sale). I like that Tidy Cat has a slight perfume scent to it because it improves the smell of the kitty litter being collected in the pet equivalent to a Diaper Genie. But compared to Dr. Elsey's, it has a ton of dust (you can see it just from scooping the litter box).

The Cat Attract seems to be working for my MIL who recently took in some feral kittens. At first, they didn't want to use the litter box she provided them. But when she moved the litter box to where they were trying to pee on the carpet, and replaced the litter with Cat Attract, I don't think she's had any accidents since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Premier Cat

What a terrible problem. I feel your pain. If this were me, I would put LOTS of litter boxes all over the house - maybe one per room. I know there is a yuck factor in doing this, but she needs to be able to get to a box easily. Use lots of praise each time you see her use a box - LOTS of praise. Basically you need to undo the year of "toilet training" you did. Over the course of the next few months you can delete the number of boxes one by one until you have just one on each floor. The most important thing you can do is keep them clean by scooping at least twice a day.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Cat Addict

This is what normally happens. And once the cat learns to use porcelain (aka: bathtub and sink)/the floor, they may continue for their entire life. Try putting litter boxes everywhere, especially if there's certain places they're going on the floor -- cover the area they're pooping.

It's why most cats aren't toilet trained. Way too risky and unnatural for the poor confused cat. Plus if you move or the cat has to stay somewhere else, they won't recognize another toilet as the place to go.

I always warn people against toilet training, the internet is filled with stories just like this, and not a lot of success stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 03-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page