balcony issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

balcony issues

Hi everybody,

I am happy to be part of this forum now and maybe get help to deal with my kitten.
Her name is Summer and she is still a kitten (even if she doesn't look like one anymore) of 9 months old. She is my love !!!!
I am living with my BF in a third floor apartment and I have a lot of worries about my balcony and my little princess who thinks she can do what she wants. I need guidance on how to deal with my balcony which I though was a wonderful idea for her to get some fresh air, but the only thing she wants to do is to jump on a tiny rail.
She has a lot of qualities but agile isn't one of hers. So I am terrified and refuse her to go on the balcony so I have to listen to her crying.

I wish to get some feedback from some of you who experience the same thing and maybe get ideas on that.

Cheers

Last edited by marie73; 03-13-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Hi, I live on the third floor and have a balcony also.
Artie loves the fresh air!
I only let him out there either when I am sitting out or I am watching him..Artie is only out there for a tiny bit--something like 15 minutes the most--with me

He does listen to and obey my loud "UHHH!" when he goes anywhere near the edge..
I have also tried a collar and harness and leash when I am sunning myself...

I am fortunate, he does not want to lie on the railing, it is too narrow for him without traction (round)--the sun is enough for him.

I watch him out there constantly....

There is absolutely no way he can stay out there without supervision..too many temptations...it is dangerous..

Artie is older-9 yrs old....so there is a difference between him and a kitten..

I would not recommend it without harness, leash and supervision at all times..

just my opinion......

Last edited by artiesmom; 03-13-2013 at 09:13 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Premier Cat

You can use bird netting to enclose the porch (if management permits). Search bird netting at Amazon to see other sizes.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by marie73; 03-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Cat Addict

I understand your fear. Unless you get netting, which isn't allowed many places, I don't have any suggestions. All I can say is, cats can usually fall three stories and be totally fine, depending on what's below (two cats in the family have fallen one story, two other cats have fallen three stories). They also never seem to repeat the mistake, and all were allowed balcony access pretty much 24/7.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Jr. Cat

Last summer we let our kittens out on our back deck because we always let our older cat and dog out there to lay in the sun. Our other cat has never tried to get on the railing and is content to just sleep out there and be lazy.

Well the kittens liked to get crazy and get on the railing and weave between the rails and stuff. Eventually one of them fell off- luckily it is one story and grass/dirt below. That said, they don't seem to have learned and I don't let them out there anymore. Maybe when they are older and have calmed down.

One of them also fell off the railing by my stairs too (to the bottom of the stairs) but was also completely fine. Really scared me though...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Kitten

With pumpkin I use a harness and leash. When I put that on him he knows he gets to go out onto the balcony. I have thought about asking my landlord if I could put a mesh screen up so that both cats could be out there without me having to worry. If you are willing to spend a little they do make outdoor mesh pen so that cats can be outside without getting hurt.

Jenn
Pumpkin, Saffire plus 16 reptiles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page