Best litterbox for messy cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Best litterbox for messy cats?

I have won a lottery of having the messiest cats on this planet. The way they use their litter boxes if horrifying! The dig a LOT! They create such a mess, I am afraid to go to bathroom in the morning. They have 2 petmate uncovered litter boxes, use them randomly, sometimes use one litter box at the same time, so I do not think there should be a problem with getting them one but huge litter box.

I am trying to decide, which covered litterbox is best? There are quite a few out there... These are my choices so far:

Omega Paw:

Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan:

Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox:

Or any other that you can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Senior Cat

My sister got a large and long Rubbermaid container and uses that. She says no matter how hard they did they can't ever toss it out. Lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Senior Cat

Here's a couple ideas. I have one kind of like the second image but it's taller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1363195553.095220.jpg
Views:	2248
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	9946

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1363195566.269830.jpg
Views:	4195
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	9954

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Cat

I have the Hagen Cat It... I love it. I've had the booda dome before and I really hated it... In my opinion I defiantly wouldn't get that one... The top always falls off because its not attached. It's awkwardly hard to buy liners for it too. It's shape is weird. The CatIt one comes with a flap and I'm sure that would keep your cats mess in because I know it works with mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Premier Cat

Here is my experience with the covered dome. Abby would step inside and pee. The pee would get all over the floor. Yuck. That is Maddie just watching the event.

I like the box idea, but two of my cats are too old to be able to jump up, climb in and get back out - one is definitly too small. Great idea for the young'un's though, I guess. I vote for the catit. I like how open it is, yet still enclosed enough to trap the flying litter.

Attachment 9962

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 05-29-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Senior Cat

I've read a lot of bad reviews about the booda dome too. You can always read reviews at Litter Box Reviews

I have a few litter robots and a few covered ones and a couple rubbermaid ones that I just made. My goal is to someday get one litter robot per kitty. Ha...it'll take a while. We get one each year with some of our tax return.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Cat Addict

I have the Omega, I found it didn't have enough room inside and removed side compartments. Plus it didn't work that well for me. Litter still ends up on the floor.

The second one I've heard gets annoying with all the litter trapped on the stairs.

I haven't seen the third one before but looks like a pretty standard litterbox. I guess if your cats don't walk out and start scratching it could be ok.

The last one I think is sort of a harsh solution.

What about litterboxes with flaps on them? Of course some cats hate them/don't understand them... others take to it right away.

Large rubbermaids work well, the cat sanctuary uses them all over the place, but there's always going to be litter getting out... it's unavoidable.

This is my suggestion:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 03-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Senior Cat

I was looking at the

on amazon and came across this guy's pic. VERY creative...and the comments are quite amusing!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Jr. Cat

I have the cat-it (picture 3) but with the flap in - it's been removed for that picture for some reason, which kind of defeats the point if you ask me.

Since it folds all the way back so the opening is as big as you see in the picture, it's super easy to clean, but with the top down (and when I remember to buy one, a filter in) and the door flap, and a mat in front of it, I never see any litter around the house, and I have one cat who tries to dig his way to china through it.

Upstairs I have just a big tall IKEA plastic bin, and that works okay too - It's tall enough that even inside sitting on the litter, the sides are taller than the cats. Before that I had a shorter one, and he was constantly tossing litter over the side of that.

That said, both the cats will only poop in the cat-it (covered, with a door, all the things cat's supposedly dislike), so that's where most of the digging goes on. Go figure, cat preferences.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Cat

I have heard that the big containers like mumof7kitties said work well. The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Litter box management, types of cat litter, feline house soiling, inappropriate elimination a bit down the page

Rocky born April 29th, 2011, Lily born June 5th, 2011, and
Henry born October 10, 2013 (all estimates
)
R.I.P Baxter August 21st, 1998-November 1st, 2011.
Barnaby July ?, 1998-January 15th, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page