Dumpster Diving Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dumpster Diving Cat

Ok, so it isn't a literal dumpster, but my cat has developed a very recent interest in our trash can. He will do anything to get in it, even after we stopped putting anything with food in it. All extra food goes in the disposal and all cans are rinsed before going in the can. Frankie still wants in.

I sometimes wonder if it doesn't have something to do with me discontinuing the continual feeder, but he was getting into the trash before that. I had to stop the continual feeder due to his binge and purge tendencies. Completely unrelated to his love of the trash can, But it has lead him to believe that since there is not food around all of the time he must steal it, or find it. So, he has also started jumping up on the cabinets at dinner time and eating right out of the bowls if he wants it. I caught him eating cous cous last night and from now on he will be in another room while we eat, hopefully to discourage that habit.

So, I suppose my question is, is all of this related to the fact that I got rid of the continual feeder? If it is (or isn't) how do I got about discouraging this behavior. He has always been a well mannered cat, and at such an old age (between 10 and 12) I worry about him developing such habits. They also could have come from the time he spent with my boyfriends mother while we were moving. I have a sneaking suspicion she fed him table scraps more often than she fed him his food.

Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Premier Cat

No idea if it is related, but you could put something heavy on the top of the can to keep him out - like a stack of books. Put a tall box out so he can jump into it instead. Maybe it's not food related, maybe it's just the "jumping into" that he likes (??).

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dumpster Diving Cat

He has a bunch of things to jump up on and seeing as the can doesn't have a lid (lost in the recent move) I doubt that is it...

Going o replace the can soon, just don't have the money to buy a 50 dollar trash can with a metal lid at the moment. Though, I am sure that will keep him out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Cat Addict

i have one cat (middle--he's 6) who tunnels trash. i'm vegetarian and always rinse any cans, but it doesn't matter. he turns it over and strews it all over the place. i got sick of it so i got rid of the ones by my desk, bathroom and bed, and only use one central trash bag in a pushcart thing. (i don't know how to describe it, it's the cart you see people carry their groceries in.) i'm like you: i can always think of something else to spend $50 on instead of a trash can but i sure would like one. it works i guess, he doesn't get down in it and string the trash out looking for gods-know-what.

right now i think i need a hamper because the same cat will pee on whatever is in a laundry basket if i leave it out. maybe i should throw away the basket? it's hard plastic and i've cleaned it with enzyme cleaner but last time i left it out, i had the stuff in a big trash bag inside it, and he peed on the trash bag LOL. but if i leave laundry out in just a trash bag, he doesn't do anything. i'm just sick of hiding my laundry.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dumpster Diving Cat

Yeah I think a laundry hamper with a lid might help in that regard. Though, I would be worried if my cats started peeling outside the box. Mostly because they never have and I would likely assume it was a health issue if it happened.

I a, thinking of looking into getting a puzzle feeder or treat game as a possible distraction for Frankie. I don't know if it'll keep him out of the trash and the recycling, but it would give him another outlet for play AND another outlet for food. That is, if I can find one I like and that is affordable.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Premier Cat

A $50 trash can!!?? That'd I'd like to see!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Premier Cat

I paid close to a hundred for my tall stainless steel lidded can. You tap it to open it and press it down to latch it.

It's always been great, except Book learned to pop it open and goes trash diving. I have an old popcorn tin on top of it. It's got some ....stuff.... in it to make it heavy enough that he can't shift it.

I'd invest in small plastic can with a lid. THey sell them at Walmart and other similar stores.

At some point I'd love to treat myself to a nice stainless steel touchless lidded can.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dumpster Diving Cat

I am currently looking to relocate the trash can, but for now I have moved everything away from it, no food goes in it, all cans that go in are rinsed before hand. The rest are washed and go into recycle. He hasn't gotten in the can in a week or so. Maybe that's a good sign. We shall see.

I think it's him reacting to the continual feeder being gone. But I can't say for certain.

The can I want has the pedal lid and is heavy stainless. One of these days I will have it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Jr. Cat

You know what the irony is here don't you? The more we try to find ways to prevent our cats from doing things, the more fun it becomes for them to figure out the new challenge with presented them with.

I'm sure they think it's all a game and are having the time of their lives :-D
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dumpster Diving Cat

It is absolutely a puzzle for them to figure out. Except my younger cats wait for my senior genius cat to figure it out and then reap the rewards.

I have actually need considering puzzle toys with treats and such as a way to occupy and challenge him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page