Suggestions for puzzle toys needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Suggestions for puzzle toys needed

Because of the bully issue happening at my house the victim is separated, with one or two other kitties who are her buddies, in our bedroom for the day but brought out in the evening when the bullies are sequestered for 4-5 hrs. While there are a few toys and such in our room and windows to look out of I worry that she's bored.

She's still a kitten but getting on the older side of kittendom so I thought it'd be a good way to transfer her over to a set amount of food. I've been reading up on puzzle toys for kitties and there's always pros & cons to all of them, leaving my mind reeling from info overload for a friggin cat toy!

I love that everyone here has a collected knowledge of all things kitty (& other critters) related so I'm seeking your counsel.

What do you guys use as puzzle/toy feeders?

Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Jr. Cat

I found this (see photo/not my cat-courtesy of whimsicalwildwoods) on *bay and my kitten loves getting his toys out of it. Fun puzzle game.

Kitty Cat Toy Box - Endless Hours of Healthy Kitty Fun

The other thing my kitten likes when he needs to be in the room by himself is a toy that hooks over the door and a mouse hangs down on a stretchy string. So as he grabs it is springs around and squeaks. I got this item at Petco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!Bi,zNzgBmk~$(KGrHqMH-CcEsLMR8ftwBLO3)1)JzQ~~_35.JPG.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	10010  

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

That is so cute! I'll take a look at it tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Premier Cat

You could try one of those treat balls that you fill with treats and as kitty paws at it, the treats fall out. I discovered that I have 3 of them: 2 have only 1 hole, and 1 has multiple holes and you can adjust the width of the holes (it's hard to explain). One of cats isn't motivated by food and was never interested. The other is extremely motivated by food and was curious, but it took quite a bit of movement for the treats to fall out, and she ended up getting bored and ignoring it. So they weren't very successful for my two, but maybe they'll work for your kitty.

I have something sort of similar to Savannah's box, but it's flat:

I also have the squeaky mouse on a string that you hang over the door. Celia LOVES that thing, especially when she wants my attention. I have it hanging over a closet door in the hallway, and she runs up and down the hall batting the mouse. She must know that the squeaking gets irritating for me.

The other fun toy is the crazy circle:

It might be an exercise in frustration for kitty if you put treats in there though. Or maybe not. I guess a cat could scoop them out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I will have to see about a noisy toy to put on the knob. She's got a little track ball toy thing and one of the hide and seek flat things. She does enjoy pulling everything out but then I find toys everywhere in our room. Lol. Under the bed, in shoes, in the far corners of the closets behind boxes...lol. I think I get more exercise than she does just finding them all. It's like an Easter egg hunt! Lol.

I hung one of those door condo things by kittywalk that I got off of Craigslist today. She's still a little leery of climbing high inside but I know within a couple of days her and my wee Dickens will be swinging through it like little monkeys!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Kitten

My boys are really food motivated, so they have a few food toys. One of them is the Slim Cat, which is a pretty basic treat ball:
SlimCat? Interactive Feeders | TOY00003 | Food Dispensers Pet Food & Water Systems for Your Dog or Cat | PetSafe

They also have the Twist n Treat:
Cat Toys: Twist N Treat Teaser Cat Toy at Drs. Foster and Smith

And the Kit-E-Quiz, which is more advanced and has lots of options.
Ware Cat Item Detail

They even use the dog's Bob-A-Lot, they just bat at it even though it's huge. They make small versions though.

Hopefully that's helpful!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks! I was looking at the kitty quiz on amazon today. It might be something she would be interested in.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Tom Cat

I bought a book at Petsmart on making your own cat toys. One thing I made for Yuki was the same idea as Savannah's toy box. You take a smallish cardboard box and cut holes all over it big enough for cat paws. Put toys inside so kitty can reach in and grab them out. It kept Yuki busy for ages and entertained me one day making it!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I put a smaller amazon box in there with her and the others. You'd think I was ceiling cat to them now. I think I've solved the issue for a while anyway!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Premier Cat

Well one way to occupy her mind is-Pennies From Heaven! Put her on a staicase or at a distance.

G-E-N-T-L-Y lob pennies in her direction. She'll have frantic fun chasing them and it will improve her zeroing-in abilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page