Disturbing Behaviour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question Disturbing Behaviour

I have 2 questions. Easy one first.

1. Petey kneads me sometimes. I understand that one. But, sometimes in the early morning he digs on the sheets. Sort of like he is trying to reach China. It isn't kneading, he is using his claws. Reminds me of his actions when he is digging a hole in his litter to pee in. He doesn't pee in the bed, just digs and digs. He doesn't always law down afterward either, but does sometimes so there is no set pattern.

2. Some history first:
My son's cat was vomiting and had diarrhea. He was taken to a 24 hour vet hospital at 3:30 am. My son was told to leave him for tests on everything cause it was probably pancreatic cancer and would cost about $3,000 for that and another $2,500-$3,000 if surgery was required. He ended up getting an IV for fluids cause his colon, intestines and stomach were 100% empty. They gave him meds for nausea and diarrhea, did an x-ray and no blockage showed. He took him home and called his regular vet in the morning. Bottom line from the hospital is that there was a granular substance in his system. My son said only thing he could think of was litter. He's fine now Thank God.

Now my question - I caught Petey eating litter today (twice). Should I be concerned? I've never seen him do it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Cool Cat

One of my cats does the same "digging" thing on the sofa. He never pees there, just tries to dig. He likes to burrow under blankets too, so in my cat's case I think it's more related to burrowing than to waste elimination.

Eating litter is often a sign of anemia or vitamin deficiency. You should be concerned because it can block up your cat's system if he eats litter, but the solution may be as simple as vitamin supplements or a diet change. I would suggest taking him to the vet for bloodwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
if he eats litter, but the solution may be as simple as vitamin supplements or a diet change. I would suggest taking him to the vet for bloodwork.
I just finished the change from Purina One to Blue Wilderness. My son also just finished the change. Makes me wonder about that food.

I'm gonna watch litter habits and call vet tomorrow if he does it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Cat

One of my cats frequently digs on the bed and I realized it's because she is trying to get under the covers. She seems to enjoy napping under there in the morning before I get up. She also likes to burrow in a fleecy blanket I have on the couch and will dig if she can't get under it on her own. Maybe try lifting the edge of the sheet/blanket and see if he wants to go under?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdswan14 View Post
I just finished the change from Purina One to Blue Wilderness. My son also just finished the change. Makes me wonder about that food.

I'm gonna watch litter habits and call vet tomorrow if he does it again.
Some people here dont like Blue because they dont release typical nutrient analysis data and they dont release where they source ingredients. Personally I dont like them either because that just seems a little shady to me When someone comes in the store and asks me about Blue Wilderness I always direct them to Wellness Core instead.... Better food and brand in my opinion anyway. Core has more meat sources in the ingredients list and no phony "potato protein" like blue has....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Senior Cat

Lickorish digs on the bed, sometimes before she lays down, but in the morning, esp if I sleep late, I think she's trying to dig ME out from under the covers. She was seriously attacking and digging on and around my legs and feet one morning (she didn't use her claws, thank goodness!). She's never tried to get under the covers that I can tell. I usually have the comforter folded half way down the bed at night when its not too cold, and she likes to lay on top of the double-folded down comforter.

no experience on the litter eating.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Cool Cat

By the way, regarding the litter eating, I would definitely see your vet rather than self-diagnosing even though I think your cat is probably anemic or vitamin deficient - because sometimes there's another underlying condition and the anemia is just a symptom, and just giving him iron or vitamins may not fix the root cause.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page