Quality cages - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quality cages

I will be picking up my new kitten soon. I work full time, so I won't be able to stay home to keep an eye on it all day. While I am at work, I plan on keeping it locked in a cage, so that it stays safe and out of trouble. Do any of you have any recommendations on what kind of cage I should use? Brand? Size? Shape? Should I leave a few toys inside, so it is not bored while I'm gone? Thank you in advance for your tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Senior Cat

Quality cages

Why a cage? Why not just put it in the bathroom or your bedroom with the door shut? Just remember to put a litter box and bed/blankets and toys in there with it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Premier Cat

Yes, why a cage?? Set up an unused (or little used) room with a litter box, food and water and toys. A way to sit and look out a window would be wonderful, too. PLEASE do not subject your kitten to a small cage. It's almost cruel.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Cat

If caging a cat is your only option, please reconsider getting a pet at this time. If you don't want to let it roam the house while you are gone, maybe keep it in the bedroom during the day? Make sure it has access to water, a litter box, and toys.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I live in a bachelor’s apartment which is small, so I don’t have an extra room that I can close off. I do have a couple of closets, but they would be too small for it.
I can’t keep it in my bathroom since there is a chimney structure right outside the window which leads to bathroom windows of the other apartments right below me. I don’t want my neighbors disturbed by constant meowing while I’m gone.
Why are people so opposed to cages? When I went to a reputable breeder’s residence she kept several kittens in one large cage. She had toys and their litter box inside.
I don’t think a cage would be cruel during the kittens first year. Letting a curios kitten roam around sounds more inhumane to me. Think about the possible dangers: electrocution, drowning, eating a foreign object, etc. Not even kitten-proofing your home can guarantee their safety. I wouldn’t want to come home to an injured kitty.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.
- Tripel

Last edited by marie73; 03-16-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: font
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Senior Cat

Quality cages

Caging a kitten during it's first year?

Are we being punked?

Seriously. Don't get a cat if you're not prepared to give it room.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Cool Cat

Your whole apartment needs to be kitten-proofed anyway. Even when you're there, I'm not sure if you yet fully appreciate how quickly things can happen. Kittens can be injured even when their owner is within touch distance, because they're extremely fast and very unpredictable.

Have you considered finding a sitter to look after your kitten? When Zephyr was a baby he stayed at a friend's house when I was at work, so I didn't have to leave him unsupervised for long periods of time.

If you do have no choice but to leave your kitten alone, definitely leave out water, a litterbox, a soft place to sleep, and toys to play with. Depending on how long you're gone and the age of the kitten, you may also need to arrange to have at least one feeding done while you're away.

If this sounds impossible to you, it may just be that at this stage of your life you're not in a position to have a kitten. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it's not a criticism; I'm not a position in my life to have a kitten either, even though I have two older cats who are happy and healthy. Kittens just need more, and take a lot more work.

It sounds like maybe an older cat would be better suited to your lifestyle right now. That doesn't mean you couldn't have a kitten in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Jr. Cat

The only time I've seen kittens in cages is at the shelter or Petsmart when they have cats for adoption. When I got my first kitten, she was about 2 months old. For the first two to three weeks, she would stay in the bathroom when I'm at work. Only for the first few days she would cry constantly, but it was mainly because she was rescued off the streets. My second kitten had to be confined in the bathroom for majority of the day for the first two weeks while we introduced the two cats.

Get plenty of toys for the kitten and a nice bed. Since he is a kitten, he'll probably end up sleeping most of the day. All you need to do is put the toilet lid down, and clear the floor--he won't be able to get up on the counter until maybe 5 months. When you are at home, spend time with him in the bathroom, play with him there, and feed him there. It'll let him be more comfortable in the confined space. They're not as noisy as dogs may be; they usually don't meow constantly at nothing. He'll probably meow for no more than 10 minutes, realize no one's coming for him, then do his own thing.

After about 3 weeks, I trusted my cat to be free around the apartment. My second had a chewing problem that was fixed with some Bitter Apple spray, but my first had absolutely no problems at all. It just depends on your kitten's personality. Keep an eye on him when you are at home and he's running around the house. Keep his nails trimmed and some nice scratching posts around to protect your furniture too!
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripel View Post
When I went to a reputable breeder’s residence she kept several kittens in one large cage. She had toys and their litter box inside.
If I walked into a breeders and they had enough cats that they needed to keep several in any kind of cage I would have walked right back out.

YOur bathroom is outside? How on earth would the cat get from your bathroom to the one below (unless you left the window open and had no screens).

Considering your current living situation it would be much less cruel to buy an adult cat that doesn't NEED constant supervision. I don't think you understand the MASSIVE amount of energy a young kitten has. Toys might occupy some (not much) time but they won't burn off that excess energy that you will be forcing that kitten to contain...day in and day out. It's quite cruel and in my opinion you are going to be asking for serious behavioral issues.

Last edited by MowMow; 03-15-2013 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripel View Post
I live in a bachelorís apartment which is small, so I donít have an extra room that I can close off. I do have a couple of closets, but they would be too small for it.
I canít keep it in my bathroom since there is a chimney structure right outside the window which leads to bathroom windows of the other apartments right below me. I donít want my neighbors disturbed by constant meowing while Iím gone.
Why are people so opposed to cages? When I went to a reputable breederís residence she kept several kittens in one large cage. She had toys and their litter box inside.
I donít think a cage would be cruel during the kittens first year. Letting a curios kitten roam around sounds more inhumane to me. Think about the possible dangers: electrocution, drowning, eating a foreign object, etc. Not even kitten-proofing your home can guarantee their safety. I wouldnít want to come home to an injured kitty.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.
- Tripel
Then please reconsider getting a kitten. An older cat would do well and there are many in need of homes.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page