Any suggestions on material of cat tower? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Any suggestions on material of cat tower?

I know they come in rug material, fake fur or fleece material. I don't want the fleece, I heard that is hard to clean. So would rug or fake fur be better? Also what one if u love it?

I've been researching and Molly and friends make a really sturdy one, but cost alot. Petco had a Whiskers __ and it was terrible. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Cat Addict

You commonly see the Molly and Friends, Armarkat, and Go Pet Club brands. From the reviews I think they are all adequate (made of safe materials and, if properly assembled, sturdy.)

The two I have were made by a local company so I don't have personal experience with the national brands.

Mine has a combination of the carpet and sisal on the various vertical scratching and climbing components. Penny prefers to scratch the carpet part and it does make a bit of a mess around the tree but nothing a hand vac can't suck up. I think most cats prefer to scratch the sisal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Premier Cat

I have an armor cat with fake fleece and I don't think I'd do that again. It was nice and cheap but the fleece just disintegrates when they start scratching at it. They love the sisal but they go after the fleece covered parts as well and it just doesn't hold up.

Next time I'll get it covered in heavy carpet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Cat Addict

We made a3.5 foot scratching post with old carpet. It was plush carpet and one cat really loves to scratch this one and basically try to pull it apart. I do have to sweep up pieces of carpet around it. Then I bought this
Petlinks System Dream Curl Curvy Two-Surface Scratcher at PETCO
and I don't know what the surface is but my other cat likes this one. It seems to be a tight commercial carpet.
The cat tower I bought is all carpet but it is shorted tighter carpet and the cats love to climb it but don't scratch it.
I guess if you could offer a few surfaces you would be safe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Cool Cat

My preference would be for carpet. It would probably hold up better, and it's a lot easier to just vacuum it clean.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Senior Cat

Any suggestions on material of cat tower?

I have a carpet & a fleece one. My cats shred the carpet one like it's going out of style but they leave the fleece one alone. I just vacuum both regularly and they're good to go. The carpet one can get a little messy but as was already mentioned it's nothing a quick vacuum won't fix.

I also buy sisal rope and wrap it around things for them to scratch to keep them from my furniture.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Kitten

Tree-tastic!

I currently have this model:

It is the faux fur model. I LOVE it and so does Aslan! It does not shed carpet chunks. You can easily vacuum it with or without a brush attachment and it's quite stable, though I don't like it set on carpet. It's on the linoleum in front of my slider. That works out well because Aslan can watch outside when the blinds are open. The faux fur sections are holding up well even with him putting his claws through from the inside chasing toys. The sisal is holding up really well as well to his constant sharpening. He literally hangs from it while sharpening his claws. I read a TON of reviews and looked at a million cat trees at a million different sites. I got mine from overstock.com, they had the best deal on this model. I hope this helps you make your decision. You won't regret getting a tree!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page