First timer: Bringing a kitten home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

First timer: Bringing a kitten home

Hi guys

First time poster, long time reader on this forum.

After many months of begging my parents and writing up truces with my mother, they have finally caved in!

In a week's time I'm bringing a beautiful British shorthair to my house but I have a few questions which I'm sure you could help me.

1) I'm fortunate to live in a very large Victorian house in the UK. My bedroom is quite a large size. I was wondering for the first few nights, I should confide the little kitten in my room. The bedroom has a number of windows for the kitten to view the new world and I think it'll be comforted to sleep just a few feet away from me

2) I desperately want the little bugger to be toilet trained asap. My understanding is that as long as I show the kitty the litter box, it'll know where to do its business? A friend of mine has suggested to watch the kitty eat its food, then place it in the litter box straight way, good idea?

3) As I live in a large house, how do I introduce it to the whole house? I'm sure it'll love the big rooms and corridors of my house, but I don't want to freak the little bugger out by how big our house is. How long shall I confide the kitty in my bedroom?

4) Out of your experience, are their any tips you can provide? I'll be a first time carer to my kitten. I know I'll fall in love with it straight away, but I want to make the little kitty's transition to his new household as easy and loving as possible.

Sorry for the long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

By the way, a few of my friends have raved about 'Science Diet' dry food for their kittens and cats. Is that good?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMeow89 View Post
By the way, a few of my friends have raved about 'Science Diet' dry food for their kittens and cats. Is that good?
My cats wouldn't touch the stuff. Dry food is bad for kittens as it tends to constipate them. Check the dry foods instuctions on the bags for feeding it to kittens.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Senior Cat

Your kitten should long since have been potty trained well before it goes home with you. Ideally an adopted kitten is at least 12 mths old but people like to get rid of them sooner so it'd more than likely be closer to 8 weeks. Kittens generally are fully potty trained (barring any medical issues) by 6 weeks. All you need to do is show her where her litter box is.

Confine your kitten in your room for a few days to a week. Are there other animals that it will need to be introduced to? That'll also give them time to smell each other under the door.

Once you give free rein to the home you'll want at least a couple more litter boxes around for her. Kittens, like human toddlers, sometimes can't make it all the way back to its box when the urge hits. And it's always a good idea to have a couple of boxes for a cat anyway.

Welcome and post pics when you get it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Senior Cat

Others will be along for food suggestions. I buy mine locally and also feed raw so I don't know a lot about the various kinds. Especially as to what's available in the UK.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Hi guys

First time poster, long time reader on this forum.

After many months of begging my parents and writing up truces with my mother, they have finally caved in!

In a week's time I'm bringing a beautiful British shorthair to my house but I have a few questions which I'm sure you could help me.
How exciting!

Quote:

1) I'm fortunate to live in a very large Victorian house in the UK. My bedroom is quite a large size. I was wondering for the first few nights, I should confide the little kitten in my room. The bedroom has a number of windows for the kitten to view the new world and I think it'll be comforted to sleep just a few feet away from me
That would be a good idea but each cat is different.

Quote:
2) I desperately want the little bugger to be toilet trained asap. My understanding is that as long as I show the kitty the litter box, it'll know where to do its business? A friend of mine has suggested to watch the kitty eat its food, then place it in the litter box straight way, good idea?
Your kitty should already be litter trained as long as it's old enough - at least 8-12 weeks old.

Quote:
3) As I live in a large house, how do I introduce it to the whole house? I'm sure it'll love the big rooms and corridors of my house, but I don't want to freak the little bugger out by how big our house is. How long shall I confide the kitty in my bedroom?
He/she wouldn't be freaked out. When I got my kitty, he loved to explore all the nooks in the house!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Cat

Welcome!!

Dry food isn't good for cats generally, imhp. Wet food is better. But you can read the nutrition boards and decide for yourself.

Keeping it in your room is a good plan. I recently got 2 british shorthair kittens, I kept them confined to one room for several days, before letting them explore. However, they were very quick to explore the areas of the house open to them once I let them out.

Yes, your kitten will know what the litter box is for when you put it into the box. It is instinctive. In a house with multi levels, it is wise to have litter boxes on a couple of floors. This helps to avoid accidents that can happen when kittens get to playing and forget that they will need to go potty.

Have lots of fun with your new kitty. I just love mine sooooo much. They are so funny!

Mylita
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Go with a wet food. Generally, wet food is better than dry and probably will cause less issues overall. I hear dry food is hard on the kidneys. Cat's don't have a strong thirst drive so wet food will get them a bit of moisture.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

Welcome!

Quote:
I think that is a great idea! Make sure he has a litter box and food and water during his confinement. (or gets taken to where he will be eating)

Quote:
Usually they find it and figure it out right away by themselves. Sometimes additional training is needed.

Quote:
Take a little at a time. Start with your room for a day or two and just keep adding more. You can keep all the doors in the big hallways closed and open maybe one a day to let him explore new places each day. My experience was the cat will walk all the way around the space he has and his tail will be down to start, but as he becomes more comfortable, his tail will raise to straight up.

Quote:
4) Out of your experience, are their any tips you can provide? I'll be a first time carer to my kitten. I know I'll fall in love with it straight away, but I want to make the little kitty's transition to his new household as easy and loving as possible.
Spend time with him. A new home is a big change. Let him know he's not alone in the process. The person who feeds him also talks to him and pets him. He must be trustworthy.

Quote:
By the way, a few of my friends have raved about 'Science Diet' dry food for their kittens and cats. Is that good?.
Uh oh. You know I don't think it's too bad, but there are many, many better options. And many, many people who are very well informed in feline diets that can help you with food choices. Or you can go to the 'search' function on the Health and Nutrition forum. There is a LOT of good info.

Best wishes to you. It sounds like you're taking all the right first steps. When you get the little bugger, post pics so we can 'awww' at his cuteness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Senior Cat

I think confining the cat at first is a good idea. Being in a new home with new people will be overwhelming, and giving the cat a limited, safe area will likely help it feel less stressed than a whole house at once. Also, don't force interaction with the cat if it seems nervous or scared; be patient and let it come to you.

Science Diet is not a good food- it is full of by-products. If you search on the forum, you will find a number of posts with healthier brand recommendations (such as Wellness, EVO, and Merrick). You will also find that many memebers here recommend feeding wet food over dry to prevent dehydration and other medical issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page