attack mode.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

attack mode....

Hello all... question for you

Roxy has been hanging around our house for a few months so we decided to take her in, she is a sweetheart... from the first day she came up to me she was jumping into my lap, rolling over to get her belly rubbed and falling asleep. it only took a few days for her to get used to our dog, some minor incidents with hissing and paw swipes if he got too close happened but nothing major.

The other day Roxy was with me in the living room sleeping on my lap, my Wife and the dog were in the kitchen (not in line of site btw) when my wife sneezed (not a normal sneeze, she has a higher pitched one) , roxy jumped off my lap and did a low to the ground belly run into the kitchen and attacked the dog.. ears back, claws out mouth wide open hissing attack. This same thing happend a few days later so we closed the pet gate, had the dog in the kitchen, cat in the living room out of view of each other and i made the sneeze sound, she ran to the gate ears back and hissed at the dog who was 8 feet away .

Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior before and if so any ideas how to stop it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Premier Cat

I've not seen this particular behavior, but it sounds like she was spooked by the sneeze noise. She was in a deep sleep and a noise she probably did not recognize as coming from a human scared her. Since the only other being in the house she does not seem to care for is the dog she has directed her aggression at him. Roxy may have thought something like "Darn dog, I KNEW I didn't like that fur ball, WHAT is he up to now!??!".

After I adopted Lacey, I came down with a very bad cold. Coughing, sneezing, blowing my nose, etc., and all those strange noises unnerved her. She eventually learned it was just my way of being.

She will learn all of the family's strange sounds in time. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it becomes a real issue with the dog. I'm glad you took Roxy in - hopefully you have had a vet visit by now and all is well.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the reply!

We took her to the vet before introducing her to the family, got her all the shots, parasite test and bloodwork done, also spayed her. She came through with flying colors, no worms or any of the cat type illnesses... she did have fleas and some ticks but they are gone now and the vet techs were all supprised at how loving she is for being an outdoor cat for the better part of a year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Premier Cat

What a great report! She must have been someone's pet and the imprint of humans was very positive whatever the circumstances were to make her homeless. Sounds like you have a terrific fur baby! Let us know what happens with the dog attacks and the sneezing. Perhaps once she actually sees the sneeze coming from your wife she will no longer associate it with the dog and settle down.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Cat Addict

I am no expert but without pushing it, I think it would be good to feed them near each other or give them treats while they sit together waiting. Purposely pet and talk nice to the dog so the cat sees that the dog is important to you and you love it. I say this because I brought 2 rescues into my home with a 6 pound dog. I had to protect the dog from them and these things seemed to help them understand that the dog was an important part of the family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page