My cat is eating fabric - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

My cat is eating fabric

I adopted a 2 year old cat, Daisy, from my local humane society two months ago. After a few days, I noticed small holes in my pillow cases and blanket. I later found out that she was chewing and eating bits of fabric. I live in an apartment, so I try to hide all fabric items..this means the bedroom is off limits for her. Over the last two months she has eaten parts of my clothes, kitchen and bath towels and even part of my bathroom rug. Luckily she had passed everything she has eaten, but I feel like its only a matter of time before she develops an intestinal blockage. I cannot afford surgeries for her, especially if it is a lifelong problem.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Do you think she could grow out of this habit? Any suggestions in how to deal with this? Right now I try to hide everything as much as possible. And permanent things like pillows and rugs I spray with bitter apple. She's a smart girl though, and she finds things to eat I don't even think of.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Kitten

I would suggest getting her some safe toys to chew on as a distraction from the rest of the fabric in your house. Cats like to chew on things to get attention and if you see them doing it replace the fabric with safe toys (they make special chew toys for cats) if you haven't and give her plenty of exercise. This article may be helpful- it addresses cats chewing things when they are teething- I know that isn't the case here but it does address chewing, gives suggestions of replacement toys etc and has links to other articles. That is the only thing I can suggest, my cat Moose loves to chew on string so I always make sure he has other things to gnaw on instead. He got the idea pretty quickly. Hope this helps!

What can I do about my cat teething and chewing? - Page 1
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Kitten

Chewer...

My cat is also a chewer, though it is not always clothes, he's only ruined one sweater. He has chewed the strings off of a couple of shirts in my closet....he passed them thank god! The only thing I can think of is boredom. He does it while I'm gone and he doesn't have any stimulation. He also likes to decimate the fuzzy play mice. I've found little information on it and I'd like to see some more answers from other forum members. Aslan also likes to chew q-tips, which I cannot have anywhere near him or else he goes into hyperdrive.

You could try to increase your playtime with your fluffy love to see if that makes a difference in her behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page