Female Cat Attacks Male - Advice Needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Female Cat Attacks Male - Advice Needed

Saffire my female cat who I adopted about a month ago will out right attack my boy pumpkin for no apparent reason. Saffire has been in and out of multiple homes and taken to the rescue twice. She is 7, spayed and completely declawed. She was brought back to the shelter completely declawed. Pumpkin I have had since he was three months. He had URI as a kitten, FLUTD at 3 and now IBD. He 7 and neutered.

When I brought Saffire home I put her in the bedroom immediately and let Pumpkin have the main room. I live in a one bedroom apartment. Saffire has managed to escape from the room 3 times when I opened the door and all three times she immediately attacked Pumpkin. I know that it will take time and may even take months. I have tried feliway with no success. I am now trying a homeopathic remedy called Native Remedies Aggression Formula. I haven't seen any change yet but she has only been on it for a couple of days. Is there anything else I can do to get her to accept him?

Thanks Jenn

Jenn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pumpkin, Saffire plus 16 reptiles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Cat Addict

What are you doing to get them used to each other's scents etc.?

Given that she is de-clawed, she may be deeply insecure.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Saffire stays in the bedroom while pumpkin has the rest of the apartment to be in. I switch out blankets and their bedding every four days to let them smell each other. But other then that I haven't done much. She will try to attack him even under the door if he gets to close to it.

Jenn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Jenn, you have sixteen reptiles? What kinds? I have nineteen birds, mostly parrots. I used to have them listed on my signature, but it made the signature too long and I had to shorten it.

Your female is feeling insecure and is attacking your male because she is trying to literally scratch out a territory of her own out of his territory. Does the female allow you to pet her and is she personally accepting of your company? Or is she still kind of stand-oofish? How is your male reacting? Is he just taking it or does he growl and fight back or retreat? A one bedroom apartment is really a small territory for two cats; it will take some time before both she and he feel comfortable sharing the apartment. Sharing bedding with the scents of one another is a good idea. Another would be to switch off which room they are resident in; like let Saffire out of the bedroom one night before bedtime and take Pumpkin in wish you overnight. That would allow her to investigate the main room area without worrying about Pumpkin being around and may help make her less on edge outside of the bedroom.

You are correct it may take up to months for her to settle in. You said she has had multiple homes and has been back to the rescue at least twice. If Pumpkin is not getting overly upset about her attacks (having symptoms of an IBD flare), and is not fighting with her much, I would just continue as you are. Try and get her to relax with you and show her Pumpkin is not a bad boy. Will she take treats from you? Will Pumpkin? Give them both treats when they are within each other's sight; show them both you value them equally. The Nature's Remedy may help, but it sounds like Saffire has herself too worked up about the changes in her life for homeopathic strength remedies to help; unless you double dose her: and you don't want to do that more than once or twice a week. Homeopathic remedies are still drugs and one has to be careful about dose to make sure one does not cause harm with the drug.

Sending you positive energy to encourage poor Saffire to accept her new living arrangements. Hope things settle down for you guys soon. Good luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

She is fine with me. Let's me pet her, purrs and will even sleep with me at night. Pumpkin turns and runs from her the thing he hasn't realized is that if he gets up higher she can't get to him, being that she is over weight. He really hasn't had a flair up with the ibd from her going at him.

Jenn
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Premier Cat

ohh, this is sad. Poor Saffire - completely declawed and feeling insecure in the new surroundings and with Pumpkin. I'm pretty sure she was returned because of perceived cat aggression - and indeed it may be the case. In my mind you have two options - wait it out and hope they settle down or return her and make the recommendation that she be the only cat or animal in the new house. There are seniors that might love an affectionate kitty that is completely declawed (I'm assuming you mean front and back?).

If Pumpkin is not all that traumatized by Saffire then I would wait it out, but personally, I have a strict policy that any new kitties I introduce HAVE to at least agree to disagree. Aggression is not tolerated. I've been fortunate because I've not had to return anyone for aggression but I understand that not every cat is the right fit into a family. Sometimes shelters just don't get enough information about a cat to make a good match. Best wishes to Saffire and Pumpkin AND you!! Let us know how this turns out.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurulFeatherCat View Post
Jenn, you have sixteen reptiles?
I have 7 corn snakes, four Leopard Geckos, Four Crested Geckos, and one Bearded Dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
ohh, this is sad. Poor Saffire - completely declawed and feeling insecure in the new surroundings and with Pumpkin. I'm pretty sure she was returned because of perceived cat aggression - and indeed it may be the case. In my mind you have two options - wait it out and hope they settle down or return her and make the recommendation that she be the only cat or animal in the new house. There are seniors that might love an affectionate kitty that is completely declawed (I'm assuming you mean front and back?).

If Pumpkin is not all that traumatized by Saffire then I would wait it out, but personally, I have a strict policy that any new kitties I introduce HAVE to at least agree to disagree. Aggression is not tolerated. I've been fortunate because I've not had to return anyone for aggression but I understand that not every cat is the right fit into a family. Sometimes shelters just don't get enough information about a cat to make a good match. Best wishes to Saffire and Pumpkin AND you!! Let us know how this turns out.
I would hate to return her since i have spent 300 on a badly needed Dental and they ended up having to pull a couple of teeth. Pumpkin isn't too worried about her he pretty much ignores her except when she goes after him. It hasn't seemed to upset his IBD any which is good as well. I will wait it out a little longer and if she just can't settle down I will have to return her.

Jenn
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Tom Cat

Female Cat Attacks Male - Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_Tigercat View Post
I have 7 corn snakes, four Leopard Geckos, Four Crested Geckos, and one Bearded Dragon.
Awesome! I've currently got one beardie, seven leopards, four cresteds and two gargoyles.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Jenn, I think you won't have to return Saffire if you just wait it out. The reason why I say this, is that Pumpkin is not being aggressive or very emotional about Saffire's actions. He is doing what any male cat would so with a new female in their territory; defend against injury and back down while waiting for the female to chill out: afterall, to him a new female is a plus and may result in mating! I know, of course, she is fixed and so is he, but a male cat's outlook is generally the more the better when it comes to female cats in and around their territory. Once she decides she has her own areas of security in his territory, she will chill out. She may start doing this once she finds a few independent hiding places in the main room; which is one reason I encourage you to leave her alone in the main room overnight and take Pumpkin with you into the bedroom now and then.

Cats are all about personal security. Where can I hide to sleep, is my food supply secure, and can I get to it without being attacked? Where can I get water? If I go to the human to get pets, will I be attacked or can I get my petting fix without problems? Once Saffire answers all these questions for herself, she will chill. One thing against her chilling right now is this is mating season for cats. The Queens are starting to come into heat and the Toms are fighting for mating rights. She is not available for mating, yet there is this male that just might try and force her; Saffire needs to understand Pumpkin will not force her: and only time will show her that.

I think you have a great probability everything will settle down within two months at the most. Good luck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Kitten

Just make sure she doesn't get out anymore, those experiences will delay the introduction process and you'll have to take it slower. I've had a similar experience with my two cats, we adopted our female on February 7th. She kept on "attacking" or asserting her dominance onto our male cat at random times every day when they were out together, and we'd separate them. Come to find out we just needed to let them handle it on their own. Since we haven't separated them during their fights (there's no serious fighting to where they look like they're going to kill each other) both cats have been much happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page