hi fellow feline lovers - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

hi fellow feline lovers

hello
im a new member and actually wont be here to long.
im 54 , female, widower{ from a long time ago}
i have 6 kids
piggers is 12 , boy
snuggle bunny is 12 also, girl
kitty kitty bitty bitty is pigs daughter she is 8
fred a rescue is now 4
larry berry berry also a rescue and is 3 now
and the newest member is homeless. also a rescue is 1-2yrs

Now here is what i would like a answer to from REAL cat lovers.
Please dont judge me
i was gonna explain the whole thing, but changed my mind.

i am going to jail for 2 years.

Well it was supposed to be a 11 1/2-23 month sentence BUT now that has changed to 2 years.
when it was the smaller sentence I was going to keep my apt , so my kids wouldnt have to go to a shelter with a 100 other cats.

so i still plan on keeping my apt for as long as i can. I DO have 2 friends that will come over every day, to feed , water, scoop, etc etc and provide companionship.

My family thinks this is the WRONG thing to do.
i totally disagree. i think it would be MUCH better for them to stay in their own house for as long as possible.

my figuring is 1 or less than a year in a shelter and a year here would be better.

i think my family thinks its a waste of money,

WHAT DO YOU THINK????

Last edited by Heather102180; 03-18-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on how much "companionship" these friends have agreed to provide.

I think if you are going to keep the pets in your apartment, you almost need a house sitter to actually move in... Just having 2 friends over to do the basic necessities isn't enough...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

ok well

so heather

you actually think they would be better in a shelter?
i should clarify my one BFF is gonna spend a couple hours here every evening
watching Tv and just w/e for compainionship.
and a girlfriend will come in once a week to clean up---shouldnt be much--im not here! lol

i just think it would be to much stress on my older kids to go to a shelter for 2 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

Any chance family or friends would be willing to take care of them? You may have to split them into pairs or somebody may be able to take them all. It may be better to do this than having them so long with so little human companionship. You may give up the apartment and use the money for somebody to take care of them, water, food, vet care while you are away. I hope this works out for you and your fur babies. Let us know what happens.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

hi

naw, no friends or family to speak of.
one thing is the 3 older i would want to stay together,
since they are so close.

i am trying to sub-let my apt for a very, VERY cheap price,
as long as the person knows this is their house.
And the reason they are getting such a cheap price is for that reason, they are here to take care of the kids.

My friend John will still stop by every day to make sure everything is cool, etc etc. he will buy all their food and distilled water. even change the litter if he wants or maybe the other person.
i have to people that im thinking about, but other than making them take,
lie detector tests, how can you know whats really in a persons heart, right?

i just HATE the idea of them being in a shelter for 2 years with 100+ other cats, because they are old , set in their ways etc.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

You realize that a shelter will not keep your cats for two years until you get out of jail, right? They will adopt them out to new owners if they can. If you find a no kill shelter, any that don't get adopted (likely the older ones) may still be there when you return. But if it's a kill shelter....

If you can find a no kill shelter, I would put them there right away giving them the opportunity to find a real home sooner. Believe me...your friends will say now that they'll go everyday and stay for a couple hours...but as time goes on, they will come in...feed & scoop and go. Leaving cats without human companionship and they might be unadoptable by the time they do end up in a shelter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Tom Cat

hi fellow feline lovers

Are there any organizations, that will take your cats due to your circumstances? My sister had to give up her 2 dogs due to getting out of an abusive relationship. An organization called Under the Wing took them. You will have to do a google search to find organizations in your area. One of my sister's dogs has already been adopted.

It is worth a shot & better than them going to a shelter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
You realize that a shelter will not keep your cats for two years until you get out of jail, right? They will adopt them out to new owners if they can. If you find a no kill shelter, any that don't get adopted (likely the older ones) may still be there when you return. But if it's a kill shelter....

If you can find a no kill shelter, I would put them there right away giving them the opportunity to find a real home sooner. Believe me...your friends will say now that they'll go everyday and stay for a couple hours...but as time goes on, they will come in...feed & scoop and go. Leaving cats without human companionship and they might be unadoptable by the time they do end up in a shelter.

thanks for your opinion
well when it started out as a 11-23 month sentence
the woman that runs a sanctuary nearby said she would keep them for that time. so if i keep 'em here for the 1st year, she would keep them for the 2nd year.

And i think your wrong, i saved the life of my friend John a few years ago, and he is the one who suggested taking care of them. He is now disabled and when i ask him about it, because i am worried, he says 'hey a couple -3 hours a day isnt anything. What am i gonna do anyways"?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Senior Cat

hi fellow feline lovers

Why can't John have them at his place? Or move into yours while you're gone?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Cat Addict

The cats in our shelter go without human contact at night, but they get three daily visits (one cleaning and two feeding/socializing) plus volunteers and visitors during open hours. Transferring those facts to your apartment, I would say if you have 2-3 trusted friends that could come in twice a day and stay longer than it would take to scoop litter and change food and water (say a minimum of 1-2 hours per visit), that would work in a pinch. There would need to be a predefined arrangement for vet care, especially emergency vet care.

The other thing I wonder is if you could call the shelter or sanctuary can give recommendations for good foster homes. I know this is a stretch for a foster family to take on (even splitting the cats into two groups) but maybe there's someone who would do it. It might be worth asking the question.

Obviously there will be financials involved, but I assume you're prepared to pay for food and medical while you're gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page