Aggression or Dominance Display? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Aggression or Dominance Display?

Gabby, my 8 year old male DSH, has taken to attacking the other two cats in the house VERY frequently. I just caught him on top of Lola, biting her. He doesn't seem to have hurt her, but he scared the crap out of her. She was under the bed for twenty minutes and just now came out. He has also been very rough with Frankie, our oldest cat.

I don't know if he is trying to play or show his dominance, but I am afraid he is going to really hurt one of the other cats.

Any idea what might be the issue?

Lola is relatively new to the house. She's been here about two months, but this wasn't an issue until recently. Frankie and Gabby, on the other hand, have been together for seven years and we have had them for two. What is happening now does not at all resemble the play fighting I have seen since I met them.

So, I just don't know and am really worried.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Cat Addict

It could be play. More likely it could be a situation where the hierarchy needs reestablished after the new addition. But regardless, it is worrisome (imo) because it could cause injuries or lengthen the adjustment time (if she was so scared after being bitten that she hid for 20 minutes).

I get confused on all the posts on here. Wasn't it you that said you took a nice, slow segregation/introduction starting with infrequent supervised visits? That is very important. If there are still fights or physical domination that seem injurious, you can introduce Feliway, either the diffuser or collars would work in this situation. if you use the collar I'd probably only put it on the aggressor.

Again, these are just my opinions and experiences. I know this can be troubling. Wish you well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I haven't posted about their introduction, but it was long with supervised visits. She was confined to our room for a while and I swapped out their blankets so they would get used to her scent as well as using a damp cloth to swap scents, But after a couple of weeks we were good. The boys accepted her and we haven't had any issues until now. My first assumption was that it might be a pecking order issues, and I should let it resolve itself, but I worry a lot about them getting hurt.

The fact that he has been aggressive toward Frankie, who has been his long term companion (since gabby was a kitten), Is very worrisome to me. Frankie is getting old. I am not sure how old, but he has started to get bony in the hips and spine, which is apparently a sign of old age in cats and the last thing I want is for Gabby to get too rough and hurt him.

Thanks for the tip on the Feliway. I have heard interesting things about that and will give it a shot. For now I will just keep a close eye on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I hadn't occurred to me before now that the depo-medrol shot Gabby got at his appointment with the vet a week ago (For what the vet says is a mild case of Asthma) maybe causing irritability. I read that irritability and anxiety were common side effects. Does anyone have experience with that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page