Jumping, Biting and Running Away - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Exclamation Jumping, Biting and Running Away

Around 3 months ago, (Jan 25, 2013) I adopted 2 month old male kitten named Sammy. He is now 5 months old and we are planning on bringing him to the vet's to be neutered soon. Sammy is playful, energetic and just wants to have fun. But sometimes it gets a little overboard. He'll jump all over the couch and occasionally scratch, but the scratching isn't too much of a problem because he's only done it once and it was an accident. (He was holding on to the arm rests of the couch because he was about to fall) My dad isn't too pleased about having a crazy kitten jump all over "his furniture". Also, when I have snuggle time with him, for the first few minutes, it's alright. When I try and rub his head, he'll try and start biting. I want to spend some quality cuddle time with him but he'll just try and bite me. What do I do? Now about the running, when ever I go near him when he's in playful and wild mode, he'll just run as fast as he can tk get away from me. Sammy thinks I'm going to stop his play time. I don't want to be known as the "Annoying human who stops all the fun" Please, I need help! I don't want my kitten like this forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thumbs down

Please help me! Please reply!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 AM
Senior Cat

Jumping, Biting and Running Away

There doesn't appear to be a problem here. Your kitten is simply being a very typical kitten. You say he's not being aggressive and only accidentally scratches during play, etc.

Snuggle time with a kitten is like snuggling a two year old human...very difficult! Holding still for that long is simply not feasible for a kitten who has much better things to be doing than snuggling!

As the adopter of Sammy you should have known about kitten behavior beforehand and prepared both yourself and your father. If a calm cat is what you wanted then you'd have had better luck with an adult cat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof7kitties View Post
There doesn't appear to be a problem here. Your kitten is simply being a very typical kitten. You say he's not being aggressive and only accidentally scratches during play, etc.

Snuggle time with a kitten is like snuggling a two year old human...very difficult! Holding still for that long is simply not feasible for a kitten who has much better things to be doing than snuggling!

As the adopter of Sammy you should have known about kitten behavior beforehand and prepared both yourself and your father. If a calm cat is what you wanted then you'd have had better luck with an adult cat.

Thanks for the reply! Sammy was very mellow and calm in the shelter. He just suddenly transformed into a crazy thing! The staff said he was loving and not took hyper. Hmm, seems that has changed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Senior Cat

Kittens are kittens no matter where they are. I have "mellow" kittens every year with my fosters and sure compared to other kittens they may be slightly less crazy but they're always still a kitten.

Your Sammy is just being a crazy little kitten. They don't slow down till around 1 and even more around 2 so prepare for the long haul. Be sure you play with him a lot to keep him physically moving and his mind active. Da bird is a very popular toy with kitties. Or a paper bag or box. See if you can get them focused more on something other than bouncing off the walls.

But honestly there's no issue here. He's really just doing what kittens do best...being a kitten!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Cool Cat

I agree with Mumof7 - it's a kitten phase, and he'll probably outgrow it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Premier Cat

Sammy is just being a kitten! He will push the boundaries until you say stop. If it gets out of hand (biting especially), grab the scruff and give him a firm NO!
Lacey did this to me shortly after I adopted her (3 years old) and I grabbed her scruff and yelled NO! then hissed at her. She got the message and has not attempted to bite me since then (about a month ago).

Just remember kittens are like little kids - sometimes they play rough and bite. You as the momma or daddy just need to set the boundaries. This will most likely need to be reinforced for a couple more years. He won't grow out of this completely (if at all) until he is about 3. This is why I only adopt older cats! 'Tain't raisen' any mo babies!!!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page