Moving the litterbox nightmare! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Angry Moving the litterbox nightmare!

I love my little boy.........but he is such a stinker! Very obstinate. Ive never had issues moving my litterbox before this particular issue.
I had my litterbox on my main level strategically placed so my bloodhound would have to go to great lengths to get into it to surf for treats.
Well lately she's figured out how to push and toss that box around to get what she wants from it. UGH!!!!!!!!!
So needless to say, I've had to move the box to the upstairs in a room between a bed and a wall. The only place my bloodhound cannot get to.
My other two cats have readily accepted this idea. I think they'd rather not have my bloodhound imposing on their personal space.
However.......and this is where my little stinker comes in. He still wants to go back to the original place I had the litterbox. I scoop him up and bring him to where the new box is and of course he uses it but I have to make him.
I'm not home 24/7 so I am unable to watch his every move to scoop him up to bring him to his toilet to do his business every single time.
First, he is not ill. I've tried cleaning the area where the old box was with natures miracle as well as the walls in case there is any left over scent from using that space for so long. I've place plastic carpet runners with pointy sides up over the old area and then laid large boxes on top of that to block off the space.
He is a stinker...........he is still trying to sniff that area out and find a way to use that space even though the box is clearly gone. It's been 5 days and I'm going out of my mind!
I cannot gradually move the box because of my bloodhound. It either works in a space or it doesn't. Would a feliway plug-in be beneficial in the old area as a way to deter him? What on earth can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Cat Addict

Is there away way you could use a pet gate? The type that would allow the cats through a small part and not the dog? Or, close the cat in the room with the new litter box when you're gone? Or training the dog? Or using a type of litter box the dog can't get in?

I'd rather have the dog surfing for treats than the cat getting into the habit of inappropriate eliminating. One bad habit is enough to deal with...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Cat

How old is he? Teddy was reluctant to accept any litter box relocation, then he grew out of it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post

I'd rather have the dog surfing for treats than the cat getting into the habit of inappropriate eliminating. One bad habit is enough to deal with...

I used to think that...till my very old senior flat-coated retriever started figuring out how to get into our box in the room she sleeps in. She started not eating and her tummy was bloated and hurt. The crazy girl kept getting into the clumping litter for the "cookies" and ingested wayyy too much of the litter while she was at it.

She's fine now but I had to get creative with making a litter box that she couldn't get into. I used a 45 gal sterilite container and cut a small kitty size entrance into one end and put inside of it a litter box at the other end. Then I put a small battery powered, motion sensitive light inside above the entrance and put the lid on. Now she really can't get in there and the cats think it's great fun to make the light go on and off in the middle of the night. Hahaha.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Tom Cat

If you look up 'DIY Litter box Hider' you can easily find a ton of ideas that look like they'll keep a nosy dog out.

If our dog was allowed upstairs, I would definitely make on of these for the litter box.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof7kitties View Post
the cats think it's great fun to make the light go on and off in the middle of the night. Hahaha.
lol that's great. it's like the 80 year-old guy telling his doctor that his wife is so thoughtful that she put a motion sensor in the bathroom because he has to get up several times a night, and then she tells the doctor, "i don't know what to do, he's peeing in the refrigerator again."

someone just posted a litterbox in a chest that dogs can't get into but i can't remember the thread. i have one cat so stubborn that he must have a litterbox where he wants it or horrible things rain down on my head.

(well i wish--at least i can wash my hair a lot more easily than i can take the bed apart to wash everything.)

that litterbox in a chest thing is the only option i can think of and then you could keep it in the same place and the dog can't have a buffet bar.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks so much for all your responses. Some of them made me laugh, which is exactly what I need during a crisis like this. No, unfortunately I cannot train my bloodhound who follows her nose ; not to. I also cannot block off my dining room. ( yes, I know, that is where I had the litter box! ). It is an open concept floor plan and and right next to the kitchen. Moving the box is a must really........morning coffee just isn't the same while the box is located so close.........the issue with my bloodhound is only pushing me to do what really needs to be done anyway.
I'm hoping I've turned a corner today, ( day 5 of new litter box location )
I've been only giving treats to my babies while in the room where the litter box is located. This has made this space seem like a positive experience for them all. Any every time I catch my little stinker using the new space, I immediately reward him with a treat. This really is an uphill battle.......I just hope I'm victorious in the end.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page