My cat is friendly but prone to freak outs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat is friendly but prone to freak outs

Hi all, I really hope maybe someone can help me. My male cat Moose (will be 5 at the end of the month) is just crazy unpredictable lately. He loves to play and my husband and I give him and his sister, Crystal, lots of attention, toys, treats (they are basically our kids). However, Moose is definantly the more rough of the two. They both will play-fight regularly but Moose is more likely to take it too far when Crystal simply isn't interested. When that happens, she will hiss and swat and I seperate them. That is easy enough to deal with but Moose's moodswings lately is just baffling.

He loves to lay in laps and will purr, wanting pets but then (in typical cat fashion) he will freak out of nowhere even if his tail isn't twitching to signal he doesn't want to play anymore. Does anyone else have a problem with that- it's hard to judge his mood when that tail doesn't really tell me when he gets irritated. Are there other signs? Plus, he will walk up to people that come over as soon as they come in and rub against their legs but as soon as they lean down to touch him he swats at them (he is not declawed, mind you). It hurts and it's getting to the point where I don't want people over because I'm afraid he will bite/scratch when he is the one that initates first contact. It's just very difficult. The biggest problem I am having, however, is his behavior towards my husband. This is very strange but whenever my husband stands by the door or goes to leave he just freaks out on his feet. He does this to guests (he doesn't do it to me, for some reason) as well so I am afraid of even having people stand by the door. That door, I don't know, it just really makes him agressive. How do I curb this?

I feel like I am doing everything right- we play with them, they gets lots of attention, special treats etc. I can't figure out, I feel like I did something wrong raising him. His sister is just so sweet all the time. It is driving me crazy because I can't figure out how to get him to calm down. We did play quite rough with them (like with stuff animals, letting him attack them) when he was younger because he loved it but I read that encourages aggression so we are trying to stop now. Does all of this stem from that? Any help is appriciated- I really thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Premier Cat

I'm wondering if you've gotten him checked out by a vet to make sure there's nothing wrong medically? I don't think it's typical cat behavior to suddenly attack in the middle of a cuddle session, and I know that sometimes, changes in behavior, and especially aggression, can be caused by pain. How long has this aggressive behavior been going on?

About the door - does he attack only when people are leaving or also when they're coming in? Not that I have any theories about this; I'm just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page