Cats Who Think They're Dogs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats Who Think They're Dogs

Anyone else have one?
My cat Smudge is treat trained to do about 11 tricks on verbal and hand signal command, with two more in the works. She fetches, loves belly rubs, and runs to greet me when I get home. I snap really easy, and can start yelling and getting upset very quickly over small things and she comes onto the couch and hits my shoulder until I pet her and calm down. She also gives you kisses when you ask her nicely!

So, what about your cats who don't know they are cats!
(Maybe we should have a trick contest, anyone in?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Senior Cat

yeti will come running and growling when someone is at the front door(all the other cats are going in the other direction) he does a few other dog like things..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Banned

Mia plays fetch. I throw her cloth ball down the hall. She runs after it and brings it back to me laying it at my feet. She could do this forever. Its her favorite game besideds the light beam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Cool Cat

Galileo has been dubbed "dog" by a family friend who comes over fairly regularily to do handy work around our house. Galileo greets people, and their dogs if they happen to bring them, at the door. Once the new person comes in and sits down he's either in their lap or he flops over right at their feet and presents his tummy for tummy rubs. Leo is a bit of a pig, so he often asks people, family members or guests, for food, either indicating that they should fill up his bowl or give him something off their own plate if they happen to be eating, and he'll whine if you ignore him. He's also really empathetic and will come sit with you if you're feeling upset or unwell, though I don't necessarily think that's a trait exclusive to dogs.

My sister's friend brought his Pomeranian over a few years ago. We put Dante and Cosette in the basement, as Cosey would have run away from the dog and Dante would have attacked, but we left Galileo to his own devices. As soon as the dog came in the house, Galileo was right there, wanting to smell his butt. It was pretty funny because the Pomeranian was clearly disconcerted by such a friendly, forward cat, and he spent the whole time trying to avoid Galileo, while Leo followed him around trying to get him to play. And, he's not shy around big dogs either. Galileo is just such a calm, confident, dominant cat that his forwardness is much more dog-like than cat-like.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Premier Cat

Both my boys are pretty 'doggish'. They both come when called. Book can do a variety of tricks (I don't know about 11 yet).

They also growl and run to the door when they hear something. THey are both super protective at night. Any noise and they are both off growling and exploring. Then MowMOw comes back to bed and lays across me so I know it's all good and I don't have to get up to investigate.

If I cry MowMOw is RIGHT there climbing on me and face bashing me(tears kind of freak Book out, he paces near me and watches with a panicky look on his face). If I'm feeling sick they both know and stay super close and very quiet. Now even Book refrains from play and stays by me purring. And no scuffling even though they are in close quarters. They just deal with it and pile on me.

MowMow LOVES to go for walkies. THe minute he sees the harness and leash he's circling and howling to go out. When we're out and about any person or dog he sees he has to walk up to and greet. If they keep walking he yells at them to let them know they need to stop and appropriately worship him.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Jr. Cat

Frankie is very dog-like. He like belly rubbings, greets to at the door, chews on shoes and shoe laces, and carries his favorite toys around the house in his mouth and growls at anyone who even looks like they are interested in it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Senior Cat

Come on you guys. Cats can be special all by themselves as CATS. All of the things described here are normal cat behaviors.

Why give cats such a bum rap? Can't cats be special all on their own?

Why do they have to be considered "dog like" if they do something cute or funny? Can't cats be cute and funny? Cats are who they are, whatever they do, because they are cats. The behaviors have nothing to do with dogs.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Kitten

Maxx plays fetch, comes when called, walks on a harness (including letting me lead, sometimes), and chases his tail. He is still young, only about 6 months, so we're working on a few basic comands.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Cat Addict

If Jasper was a dog, he'd be like a St Bernard... fearlessly going anywhere to rescue his mouse and bring it back to me. I sort of worry when I throw his mouse some locations because he just goes headlong into anything when he's in retrieval mode.

^
He looks pretty intense with his ears back but he's just dutifully bring back the toy as fast as possible.

I've come to realise that lots of cats play fetch, it's just I've never met any that do it as enthusiastically as Jasper.

As far tricks go, I think most people don't have the time to train cats, and that a lot of cats aren't geared for it, either. Similarly, a lot of dogs aren't going to pick up on tricks very well either. I know lots of dogs that don't even play fetch. I would have zero patience to teach most dogs tricks, I'm used to Poodle mixes, and they pick up on things pretty fast. It takes a certain kind of cat to enjoy these kind of activities, but they're certainly out there.

Along with the dogs
and
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Senior Cat

If Godzilla was a dog he's probably be a big layed back mastiff..... He strolls through places like he owns them in a matter of seconds.... Never had a cat like him in my life.... I don't know what Skeeter would be... He's a nut case.... However my mother in law recently taught him how to teach him down and he picked up on it in the first session... Never seen a cat do a trick in my life but it was so cute! Of course it was for food though....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page