Kitten peeing in his OWN bed?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Exclamation Kitten peeing in his OWN bed?!

Hello guys!

So we have a problem we have has Oscar and Wilson since they were 8 weeks old and they are now nearly 6 months old.

Everything has been fine until the other night (Wednesday I think) and Oscar had a wee in his bed! I thought he did it because we hadn't got round to emptying the litter boxes. They are normally cleaned out as soon as we get in but I had my exercise class and was over an hour late getting back. Anyways, I straight away cleaned up, got it all in the wash and put in some 'Wee away' which is meant to get rid of the wee smell. I then washed it again with no detergent at all.

2 days later, this evening, their bed was dry so I put it back down and within 5 minutes Oscar had been back in and had a wee in it again! This time I had just done the boxes so they were spotless.

I have no idea why he has done this but it worries me. I hope it's not something that he will do all the time and I am dreading him doing it on my new sofa!

I have thrown out all the bed and bedding and will buy them a new one but I want to make sure I haven't done anything wrong and I'm making him do this.

1, They were castrated last week but Oscar is such a little toad, always looking for trouble. He started squaring up to Tinker tonight too, think he is getting too big for his boots.

2, no changes in home or routine

3, they all seem like very happy cats, Oscar is currently curled up on my shoulder purring like a tank

4, the kittens have 2 litter boxes and Tinker isn't with them during the day

5, Oscar is using the litter box with no problems at all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Cool Cat

Aww they look like such cutie pies. My kittens are about 6 months old too! Maybe it's his territorial behavior, since you only got him fixed last week. Or maybe there was a little residual scent on the bedding. Hopefully, he will not do it again in his new bed
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Premier Cat

I don't have any answers for you, but I wonder if it's some kind of reaction to the neuter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Cat Addict

Some cats pee in their beds... I don't know why, but there it is. Blaze has from time to time. Of course, he pees everywhere else, too. But you'd think their bed would be off limits... but... no.

Anyway, I'd try a few things: new bed in a different location and replace where the old bed is with new litter box, if that's possible. He may be interested in peeing in that location, for some reason. If that doesn't work, I'd try no bed, and hope he goes back to using a litter box instead of trying other locations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Cat

I don't have an answer why, but maybe he is mad at something or is hurt? I had a cat who I neutered late and when he was mad at me he would pee in my closet or on my shoes. He was very smart and knew where to pee to hurt me most lol. My 5 y.o. doesn't have a bed because for some reason he likes to pee in it. He always uses litterbox and when I bought him bed he decided it's better than litterbox.

Gosha - shy 5 y.o. Rasta - vicious kitten
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Senior Cat

Are they brothers? Could this be a sibling rivalry kind of thing? My sister has two sibling female cats, one developed a habit of peeing in inappropriate places (usually something fabric). A cat behaviorist came out and after looking/interacting with the sisters, came to that conclusion.

Mylita
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Cat

only thing I would think to suggest is to get a third litter box and put it in a different room from the other two. Somewhere oscar is familiar with.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for all of your replies!

Carmel -Some cats pee in their beds... I don't know why, but there it is. Blaze has from time to time. Of course, he pees everywhere else, too. But you'd think their bed would be off limits... but... no.

Anyway, I'd try a few things: new bed in a different location and replace where the old bed is with new litter box, if that's possible. He may be interested in peeing in that location, for some reason. If that doesn't work, I'd try no bed, and hope he goes back to using a litter box instead of trying other locations.

He has been using the 2 boxes with no problems at all and he hasn't been wee in the place where the bed was. I worry that they need a bed, during the day they are closed in our big kitchen/diner/conservatory and there isn't really ant place for them to curl up and sleep that's cozy.

Mylita -Are they brothers? Could this be a sibling rivalry kind of thing? My sister has two sibling female cats, one developed a habit of peeing in inappropriate places (usually something fabric). A cat behaviorist came out and after looking/interacting with the sisters, came to that conclusion.

They are brothers yes, and Oscar is the hot headed one. He is always snapping at Wilson over food or stealing the toy which Wilson is playing with and then walking off and not playing with it. What did you have to do about your problem? I want all 3 of my boys to feel happy and as equal as each other as possible.

Zerafian -only thing I would think to suggest is to get a third litter box and put it in a different room from the other two. Somewhere oscar is familiar with.

There isn't really anywhere I can put a third box in the room/area where they stay when we aren't in. There is a third box upstairs where Tinker stays when we aren't in. When we are in they are all free to use whatever box they like but they still generally stick to their normal one(s). We used to have a litter box in the living room but they never used it so we took it away again.

Do you think having 2 beds would be better? So they could have one each if they like?

Is it possible that he just had an accident the first time and the second time he could still smell where he had been? (even though I used wee stuff and couldn't smell it all)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Cat Addict

apologies if you already did this, but could it perhaps be a uti? I had a cat who peed in MY bed but his was totally off-limits, of course. doesn't surprise me though. I've always heard cats won't eliminate where they eat, but in my case he peed right next to the food bowls in order to perform the duty of going in my bed.

buy more kitty beds, more litter boxes and rule out a possible UTI before going too much farther, I guess.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Tinker had a UTI but Oscars behaviour in general is ok. Apart from being naughty. He hasnt had a wee anywhere but his box, apart from these 2 times in his bed.

Im going to buy a cheap bed and put that in a different place, see how he goes with that. I might get 2 incase he is wanting his own space or something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page