Holy attack cats, Batman! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Holy attack cats, Batman!

I've been kicking around the idea of a dog for a long LONG time and I'd just about talked myself into it. I'm a LOT more fit now and a walking/hiking buddy seemed like just the thing. I talked to a few rescues and found a wonderful prospect.

I had my home visit tonight and WOW, what a fiasco. I rushed home from work to tidy, run the vacuum, and clean the litterboxes. The woman was 30 minutes late (she got lost).

She brought her dog with her to see how my cats would reach....... MowMow of course hid, I expected that. I knew Shepherd Book would puff up and posture but I did NOT expect a full assault on that poor little dog. He went crazy!!
She finally put the poor dog in its crate for its own safety and Book went ballistic attacking the outside of the crate. When I tried to pick him up to lock him in the other room he redirected his aggression to me.

She took the dog out after I chased Book away with a water bottle and when she came back in alone he SEEMED calmer, until he started sniffing her and then he attacked her.

So, it looks like NO dog for me ...for the foreseeable future. He's STILL (hours later) circling where the crate was and growling....

Last edited by marie73; 03-22-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Cat Addict

Wow. Maybe it was just that one dog he didn't like? That's really extreme. What does he do when he sees dogs outside? Usually cats and dogs get on pretty well compared to cat intros. I guess if you got one it would have to be like a cat to cat introduction with only smelling them under the door first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
Maybe it was just that one dog he didn't like?
I was wondering that too. Do you have a friend with a dog who could come for a visit, to see if he reacts the same way?

I hope that's all it is, so you can have a dog also.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

He jumped on my ex husband's dog when it used to visit, but he was a lot younger and smaller then. It was just funny and cute to see a little kitten mauling a big 80lb dog and it didn't hurt TJ 'cause Book was so little...... now that Book is closer to 12lbs it was scary.... and LOUD.

I thought he'd be defensive, but this was seriously crazy psycho catzilla behavior. Just a black mass of swinging claws and fangs.

Last edited by MowMow; 03-21-2013 at 11:49 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Our SWAT team could use an attack cat. Any chance of shipping him down here?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 AM
Jr. Cat

We wanted a second cat, and got one from the vet. She had just had her kittens go to good homes and she was a very nice cat who seemed to really love me. Until she decided to start attacking the dog, there was little trouble. She was pretty tiny, and attacking a 75 pound Pit Bull mix is not a good move for long term survival, even as easygoing as he was. She kept going after him, hunting him like a lion hunts a larger animal. At first, he was scared and ran away, but she kept it up, and finally pushed him to the point he started getting angry, and one full power bite would have probably killed her. After I had to save her by diving in between them, he had finally reached the point he was going to retaliate, we took her back to the vet who found her a new home in one day.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Tom Cat

I am sure it was not funny at the time.....I bet that lady wanted to run for the hills....lol Book sounds like a character and decided to lay down the law....great post...do you think it was that particular dog to be the problem or dogs in general?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by marie73; 03-24-2013 at 06:42 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
He jumped on my ex husband's dog when it used to visit, but he was a lot younger and smaller then. It was just funny and cute to see a little kitten mauling a big 80lb dog and it didn't hurt TJ 'cause Book was so little...... now that Book is closer to 12lbs it was scary.... and LOUD.

I thought he'd be defensive, but this was seriously crazy psycho catzilla behavior. Just a black mass of swinging claws and fangs.
I read this after my post.....makes it even funnier!!! Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Senior Cat

That's exactly what my cat did when my uncle brought their dog over, though he seemed perfectly fine when we rotated the dog and him between being let out and bedrooms. So long as he didn't see them, that does seem extreme.

Could it have something to do with when he was a kitten and a dog terrorized him or something? I dunno :/

It might make a difference if you bring a dog in and introduce it the same way you would a cat and cat, instead of just bringing in this strange animal and throwing it out there with no introduction.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page