Just Adopted - A few questions!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just Adopted - A few questions!!

Hello cat lovers! My boyfriend and I just adopted our first little furbaby yesterday! He is 7. His family gave him up to a shelter a few weeks ago.

He has been shy so far, hiding under the bed. We have a dog close to his age who is of course curious and wants to play with him.

He has not eaten or taken water so far. He won't really come too close unless we pull him out. Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Jr. Cat

When I adopted Desmond, the shelter people warned me that it could take several days or even a few weeks before he felt safe enough to move freely around the house. So I would not be concerned that Felix is hiding under the bed. I would put his litter box, food and water in the bedroom and even shut the door, until he starts coming out on his own. Maybe go in and talk softly to him from time to time, w/out trying to pull him out, so that he gets used to your scent and the sound of your voice(s). And yes, keep the dog away from him for now.

This is what I was prepared to do, with Desmond. Desmond, however, had other ideas.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Jr. Cat

Let him have his space for a couple days. If possible, put him in a room he can have to himself for a couple days. If you have a extra bedroom or bathroom, put him in there with his food, water and litter box. Keep the dog away until he has gotten used to his new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Jr. Cat

I suggest putting the cat in a room with food, water, and litter box by himself. A bathroom or large closet would work. I separated our new cat in the bedroom and kept the other two out. Certainly keep the dog away and give new addition time to adjust to the new space. Give them time to establish their safe space edge offering up the rest of the house. Also, don't force the cat to spend time with you. Let the, come to you. Sit in the room and just sit, ignoring the cat. Watch TV, read a book, sing.... Anything, but let the cat come to you.

Swapping out bedding between two cats often works when familiarizing the,with each other during the introduction process. You might try that with your dog as well. I don't know if it will work or not, but worth a shot.

It your new furry friend is very anxious you can try a Feliway plug in to help calm the nerves a bit.

Good luck and enjoy your new companion!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Cool Cat

Looks got you already got good suggestions above

I hope your kitty will get used to the new life and relax soon. It takes a while for them to come around, so be patient and leave them though it's not easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page