Help! How do I stop my kitten from biting? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help! How do I stop my kitten from biting?

My kitten (a Siamese named Lily that's a bit over three months now) bites my boyfriend to hard when she gets really playful. She doesn't do this to me, but I think it's because she sees me as the nurturing one and him as the playful one. She's still loving towards him when calm, but he's beginning to think she hates him. I know this isn't the case, I just don't know how to teach her not to bite because he used to allow it when she didn't bite as hard.

Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 AM
Senior Cat

Well that's one of the issues right there. She learned that biting was ok.

Does she bite his hands or just anywhere?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Premier Cat

If I had a dollar for everytime we talked about this on this forum I'd be rich!! Try researching the archives, but in a nut shell you have to teach her that biting is NOT ok. I do this by gently grabbing the scruff and giving a VERY FIRM NO!! One word, no long lectures about what a naughy, naughty baby she is, just a firm NO!! Then putting her down (not by the scruff) on the floor, then either either walk away or just ignore her.

The signal sent is clear and with my adult cats that I adopt the lesson is long lasting. With kittens, just like with babies or children, corrections need to be repeated by all in the family. Remember, no violence, just firm.

I even had to train my husband not to use his hands and fingers as toys. Of course they will bite, that is what cats do, but have bonafide toys around to play with not fingers or hands! Play, correct, repeat. Play, correct, repeat. This is part of the reason why I don't adopt kittens anymore. 'Tain't raisen' any mo babies.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Cat Addict

Your boyfriend has probably conditioned your kitten to think that his hands are toys. Of course it is adorable to have a little baby kitten attack, but the thing is, kittens become cats. If they are taught as babies that attacking human hands is a fun time they will keep doing it as they get bigger and more dangerous. My boys are trained never to attack people. EVER. The only time they do, is when they get too wound up and forget. At the first sign of grabbing me with claws or trying to bite, I hiss at them and walk away. Playtime over, at least until they calm down. This will work on your kitten as long as there is no compromising on the rules. As soon as your baby starts treating human body parts as toys, hiss and playtime is over. One person not sticking to this can ruin the training. You need to impress on your boyfriend that if he doesn't want to get bitten, he has to help by following the rules it isn't the cat's fault they are bad if the rules aren't enforced all the time.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Cool Cat

When Zephyr was a baby, I trained him not to bite by telling him a firm "No!" when he bit, and then crossing my arms and turning away from him for about thirty seconds. It didn't take him long to realize that I would stop playing if he bit, and if he wanted a playmate he needed to be nice.

It's normal for kittens to have to learn not to bite. Cats aren't born with bite inhibition; it has to be taught. They can learn. You do have to be consistent and patient about it, though.

I would suggest that your boyfriend not play with the cat with his hands at all. It's too confusing for a cat to understand the rules if attacking their owner's hand is sometimes okay and sometimes not. It's better if your hands are used for petting and brushing, and when you want to play you use a toy instead- that makes it easier for your cat to understand what is allowed. When your cat tries to play with someone's hand, try redirecting the play to a toy instead. Especially a toy on a string like Da Bird will really save your hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Cat

The only thing that helped Teddy's biting issues was getting another kitten. We tried everything, putting him down, saying no, scruffing, putting him in a quiet room to calm down.. Now both of them are quite gentle with biting and scratching... And Teddy learned how not to bite humans within a week of having a new kitten.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brindle View Post
This. I am starting to think a kitten would not be the right choice for us either. From now on I think I'll be looking at adult cats when we decide to get another cat. Maybe a Ragdoll that's a retired show cat
We adopted Billy as a baby and frankly I just didn't enjoy the whole baby phase. I'm older, so I just am not into the antics of babies (of any species) for long periods of time. The youngest cat that I have adopted has been 3 for almost 20 years, and I really have a heart for the seniors, especially those that find themselves homeless through the death of a parent. We adopted Winnie at 15 and Sam at 12 because their mom's died or went to a nursing home. There are wonderful, wonderful seniors out there that need homes just as much, maybe more than kittens, and although the settling in process may take longer, the bond is just as strong once you are accepted. I still weep like a baby over Sam our 12 yo Persian that we only had for 4.5 years whose mom died of cancer. I always tought of myself as his caregiver until he could be reunited with her. Last January he crossed the Rainbow Bridge where I'm sure she was waiting for him. That is pretty much where my heart is now.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just hands, mostly. And like I said, she doesn't do it to me because I always use a dangly toy to play with her when she's feeling playful and never my hands. She's just used to him allowing it, so she'll need to be taught it's not ok.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Cat

have a toy on hand, whenever she bites him tell her NO and have her bite the toy instead.

also, as someone said above, he should not be "playing" with her with his hands. if she is exhibiting any 'hunting' behavior/'playing', then he should be using a toy.
try a dangling toy or a stuffed animal or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Cat

what toys are you using to play with your cat, rodica?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page