Poopy paws - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Unhappy Poopy paws

Whenever my kitty has loose poo, he gets it on his hind leg somehow and walks around the house with poopy feet! As soon as notice (from the smell), I take him straight to the bathroom and wash it off, despite much protest.

I thought cats can clean after themselves. Why can't he realize he's smelling like poo and clean himself up??? I hate cleaning poopy paw prints everywhere

I spent good 40 mins cleaning up after him, right after I got home from work -_-

Good thing he's adorable...otherwise I'd be much more upset!

Does this ever happen to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Premier Cat

Happens frequently with my Maddie and her long butt fur. The problem is the loose poo. You need to find the reason. Food allergy perhaps. May need a vet check for the root cause. You might try getting him a sani-trim there to remove the fur. A groomer here does it for $5 on a walk in basis.

It also may happen because they poop then end up stepping in it as they turn around in the litter box. It it is not firm then it's a real mess. I feel your pain. Try switching to a larger box with more room to step out of the way. They don't clean it because it tastes awful to them, too. Normally they lick their (relatively) clean hiney, not poo-laden legs and feet. In a nutshell, find out why the poop is loose then proceed from there.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Cat Addict

Poopy paws

I had problems with this until I switched my cats to a grain free diet. Now, they only get the occasional loose stool. I feed them Wellness (the green and orange cans, some times the red one as the other flavored have fish in them which causes loose stools and UT problems for my guys) and Wellness Core dry food.

Another thing that could cause this is parasites.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

His poo is usually nice and firm. They look like logs but once in a while, he got loose poo from me trying new food. Lesson learned. Last night, I suspect, was from me adding a bit of tuna juice in their food. I thought it was harmless and they'd love it. NEVER AGAIN!

My Billi's fur is already short, so I think you're right about him turning around. Why can't he just get out without looking? Just walk away, Billi! Don't look back! Hahaha.

The litter box I have is quite large. Maybe I need to go JUMBO *sigh*

I'm never messing with their food again!!!

PS. I use EVO Turkey & Chicken Cat & Kitten Formula and Wellness CORE Kitten formula, both grain free and Taste of the Wild dry food to free feed on (was told to do so till they are a year old).

Last edited by JungliBillis; 03-26-2013 at 10:21 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Cat Addict

Poopy paws

Yay for good food! I was hoping you weren't feeding him something horrendous from the grocery store or even the vet diets which are also not that great. Yes, any variation in diet can cause issues, especially if it is human food related. If you are feeding any of the varieties with fish that could be another thing you could try eliminating.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like you have figured out the problem, now you just need to treat the symptoms and unfortunately that means lots of wiping the floors. Should pass in a day or two. Lesson learned - although a bad experience, no real harm done.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Cat

Poopy paws

How old is he too? Lenny didn't start cleaning himself properly untill around 6 1/2 months which is apparently normal

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannijaime View Post
How old is he too? Lenny didn't start cleaning himself properly untill around 6 1/2 months which is apparently normal

He is 6 month old. He does seem to clean himself, but maybe he's not a "pro" at it just yet...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Sounds like you have figured out the problem, now you just need to treat the symptoms and unfortunately that means lots of wiping the floors. Should pass in a day or two. Lesson learned - although a bad experience, no real harm done.
Marcia,

Yes, I know they love tuna, and I'd given them a little bit of juice before without any problems, so when I used a can for myself, I thought, why not? It'd go down the drain anyway...

Billi usually eats like a pig, but he's not getting fat. Aloo, however, is getting chubbier (compared to Billi...she's not fat), even though she doesn't seem to eat all that much. It's puzzling. They are the same age and were very similar in size when I got them at 3 months. Billi is becoming a slender boy, while Aloo is somewhat of a stout, rounded girl with a tiny head! Why doesn't her head grow???
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Cat

I feel your pain- my cat Kelly does this regularly. She eats quality food (wet Wellness, Merrick, EVO, Weruva) but every few days her stool gets soft enough to stick to her butt fur or feet and she leaves a messy trail around the house. Thankfully it tends to happen at night so I can grab her right out of the litter box and wash her off. I got probiotic powder for her yesterday to see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page