How has your cat matured over the years? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

How has your cat matured over the years?

How if at all, has your cat matured? Is he/she still as playful? Easily motivated by food?

My cat has reached perhaps her peak in physical growth (tiny 7 lb cat) but I wonder if her personality will change as she gets older.

Would love to hear your stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Tom Cat

We got Cherry when she was 7 months old. Since then she's become less cuddly. She doesn't hate cuddling, but when I first got her, she'd fall asleep curled up in my arms or on my chest all the time. I also think she's gotten slightly more independent.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Cat Addict

Cat personalities can definitely change as they mature or get old. Once they become adults their personalities are usually pretty set, though.

Some cats once they're no longer a kitten become sedentary, others become less/more affectionate. Others stay pretty much a perpetual kitten. Others go through phases... one month a total lap cat then next thing you know, uninterested... then back to a lap cat.

When a cat gets up there in age they often either become more withdrawn/less active due to old age/conditions or they become more loving in their old age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Premier Cat

MowMow came to me as a 4 year old so... not much change in his behavior except maybe a little less racing around.. not much less though.

I adopted Book as a 5 month old so LOTS of change with him. He has physically stopped growing height and length. Now he's starting to add width (time to start cutting back his food). He turns 2 on April 2nd. He's @ 11.6ish lbs now. I can see his face is much broader than when I first got him at 5 months old. He had a vet visit last week and she couldn't stop talking about how shiney and fit he was. No more or less weight according to her. He's just about perfect now. When you handle him, he's all muscle. I swear he lifts little weights when I'm at work during the day.... either that or his brother pounds the muscle into him....

He's no longer the hellion he was for the first year. After he turned a year he started learning that no meant NO and just in the last few months I've noticed I can leave things on the counter. A bag of sugar, a package of instant mashed potatoes, or a bag of candy were all left alone lately. Chips and bread are still fair game as far as he's concerned, but he doesn't just rip food open now for the sake of ripping it open. He'll only do that if it's something he'll eat. He also stopped stealing and chewing up the kitchen sponge..... Im starting to notice behaviors and characteristics I saw in MowMOw @ 4 years old and that pleases me. I'll be thrilled to have two old men as perfect as MOwMOw.

Affection wise, he's MORE affectionate. I think before he was too busy running around and getting into trouble. Now he'd rather lay near me and be petted. He's never been one for kissing or holding. I don't think he'll ever be. THat's MOwMow's area...he's an Olympic level face masher/kisser and loves to be held like a baby.

Last edited by MowMow; 03-26-2013 at 06:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Tom Cat

Here's a little photo comparison:

First day home(1/17/11):

And in January, 2 years later:

Also, Casie mellowed out a bit in her old age, but that could have be due to being sick...

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Kitten

I found Nathaniel in the middle of an intersection, he was approximatly 6 weeks old and weighed 1 pound. He was very cuddly! He used to sleep in my hair by my neck and would sleep in my lap for hours at a time! And he was VERY playful, always after something to play with. Now he's still very playful and likes to be petted but he goes through stages of wanting to be cuddled, it might be a month or two with no cuddles and suddenly he wants in my lap RIGHT NOW!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Cool Cat

I am very curious to see what kind of cats my 6 months olds will be. At what age do the mature and be set in their ways somewhat?

I can already see them mellowing down a little bit from a few months ago, which is nice...and I think they now kind of recognize it when their names are called
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Cat Addict

I have always wondered what to look out for when a cat ages. Time just flies, we tend to forget that our kitty is getting older. In human, we see wrinkles, saggy skin, freckles and such. Beside the behavoural change, any noticeable physical change in kitties as they aged?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

This was the first weekend after adopting the bratz:

Never say bite me to your sister! (There was no actual contact, just
incredible timing snapping the picture.)

They still run and chase each other and wrestle like boys. Almost 6 years later!

Sometimes Cinderella had to give one of them a time out.

They still get in trouble, act crazy, and make me laugh every day. They are very food motivated. My girls
are also small, in the 7.5 range, although their long hair makes them look bigger.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page