Poo everywhere!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Poo everywhere!!

Hi,

Well not every really! We have 2 cats: Chanel 1.5 yrs and Freddy 8 months. We have 2 litter boxes with magic cat litter in the lower bathroom. We keep them very clean. This morning there was a poo on the area rug in the bathroom, and another poo on the area rug leading to the garage right outside the bathroom....

Is someone unhappy (besides me)?
(s)He pood on the rug so I will too?
Too late to reprimand/train?

What next?

Thanks!
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Premier Cat

How exactly would you "reprimand"??. Cats are not dirty by nature. Sometimes, I have some of it pretty far away from the box. I think in that case it may stick to a couple hairs then drop off, or get pulled off, in transist. Or, if soft, it gets on their bottoms and they scoot it off on the rug.

If you think it might be some other behavior issue, you could try a different litter, or different location for one of the boxes. They may not like having their boxes together and one of them may prefer to be more private. You will just need to do some trial and error stuff.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Senior Cat

Or if one or both cats is a digger it can be tossed out that way. I've got a couple of them. My cat room sometimes looks quite frightening! Lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

They were not dingle berry's that fell off after... Each was the entire lincoln log.

The little boy is a digger... but if he managed to fling it in it's entirety 2 feet to the carpet ... well them I'm signing him up for baseball

Reprimand was maybe the incorrect term. I meant to somehow show them my displeasure with that behaviour. But is it too late when you catch them in the act? The boxes have been in the same places for months...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Premier Cat

I'm at a loss. I guess if you actually can catch them in the act you can pick them up and put them in the box - but I have found that when I do that they just jump out immediately. I've never had to retrain. I keep going back to maybe there is sudden aversion to the location, or the brand. Worth a try to change both.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Senior Cat

When's the last time they had a full blood panel and look over at the vet? Sometimes when the start pottying outside the box for no apparent reason they could have a medical issue.

You keep the boxes clean, yes? Have you tried different litter? Is this a common occurrence or was this the first time? If it's the first time I'd take a wait and see approach. Could be he had an upset tummy and just didn't make it in time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls1 View Post
They were not dingle berry's that fell off after... Each was the entire lincoln log.

The little boy is a digger... but if he managed to fling it in it's entirety 2 feet to the carpet ... well them I'm signing him up for baseball

Reprimand was maybe the incorrect term. I meant to somehow show them my displeasure with that behaviour. But is it too late when you catch them in the act? The boxes have been in the same places for months...
ROFL I like your word choices "dingle berries" and "lincoln log"

Have they always been on that particular litter / litter box? Only thing I can think of is one of them not liking the litter material. Maybe try switching one of box to something else and see if they seem to prefer that one?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Senior Cat

When there is litter box avoidance, there is a reason. "Reprimanding" or showing displeasure will not solve the problem.

It is the human's job to find out the reason for the litter box avoidance and fix it.

Are boxes kept clean? Are there enough boxes? Adding another box may be all that is needed.

If boxes are clean and there are at least 3 boxes for two cats, then you have to figure out who has the problem, and why.

Constipation is the main cause of pooping outside the box. Pain while pooping, or difficulty pooping causes a cat to blame the box for the discomfort, and so the cat will go on a rug, instead. Evaluate diet, and possible hairball issues.

Another problem might be one cat is bullying the other cat from getting to the boxes. This is where that third or even a fourth box comes in handy, put the extra boxes in a different location, so the cat can get to a different litter box.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well the bombs were not too hard and not too soft (someone had to pick them up and dispose of them ). So I don't think its a tummy issue.

it is the very first time this happened since we got them in January of this year. We always use the same litter in 2 boxes in the same location. There is a light on at night.

This morning one box was totally dry and the other had a recent PP. No apparent smell of urine or poo (for my bad shnozola).

I think they might be mad at me for something? Or mad at each other. Tonight I will clean the boxes and move one of them out of the bathroom and into the hallway a few feet away to see if that helps.

I also noticed the smell of a skunk outside our house this morning. Their bathroom is on the ground floor and the window was closed. Since their nose is much better than mine, do you think the smell of skunk may have something to do with this?

thanks!
Terry
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Cat Addict

how's your lollaPOOlooza? I don't know if the skunk had anything to do with it, but if I smelled one I might go on the floor. (j/k takes more than that, like maybe bullet holes in my door lol.)

the only time I find one outside of the box I know whose it is. my old cat will get really dry bm's sometimes and it sticks to her so she scoots a little to get it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page