Odd behavior changes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Odd behavior changes

Piwacket is 12.5 years old and is a black Burmese mix. Clawdia is an orange tabby who is about 7. Both were homeless cats -- I took in Pi when she was maybe a month or so old, and she's been a member of our family since. Clawdia, we think, was a feral kitten. My mom found her in a field behind her house, eyes still closed, and nursed her to health. She came to live with us when my mom died. The two cats have never really gotten along, but until recently, they'd settled down into a peaceful dislike of one another.

Pi has recently changed dramatically, though. She and Clawdia got into an actual fight that left a terrible infection on Clawdia's heinie. We got that cleared up, but Pi hasn't really been herself since. She's still just the same with us as she's always been, but she goes berserk whenever she sees Clawdia, so Clawdia spends all her time hiding. Pi's also been hopping up on tables and the bar -- she's never EVER done that before. She got on the stove the other day WHILE it was on. And then our guinea pigs -- she's always been naturally very curious, but she actually got into their cage. They weren't hurt, but one was pretty thoroughly rattled.

She's been to the vet and gotten a clean bill of health (she does have arthritis and is getting glucosamine supps). Clawdia has also gotten a clean bill of health other than her butt abscess, but that's been treated and is mostly healed.

Why would a healthy cat suddenly start doing things so out of character and for seemingly no real reason? I'm baffled. The vet could only advise getting honeysuckle oil and putting dabs of it around the house. She also said she could prescribe something to mellow everyone out, but I don't know how I feel about that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Premier Cat

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd have them on some medication to calm them down. Whatever it was that instigated the fight, still has Pi in fight mode, and Clawdia (love the name!) is intimidated and scared of her since she got hurt....can hardly blame her for going in with the guinea pigs. On meds they may be chilled out enough to stay in the same room together without attacks. You could work with that by giving them treats together, and perhaps playing with them with a wand toy or fishing pole type, to get them thinking in a new direction...that good things happen when they are together. With cats you never know what will work or not, but I'd at least give it a try. If they start to tolerate each other without attacks to their former state of "peaceful dislike", then you could very gradually wean them off the meds, with fingers crossed. Sometimes a blowup tho forever changes the relationship...have had this happen before. You can't make a cat like another, and for ones that don't the best state is one of toleration for each other, tho they may never be cuddle buddies.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oh, I don't blame her for the guinea pigs, but the cage is on a large table, and she's never tried getting in there before even when it was directly on the floor (it's about 18 square feet so it doesn't just fit any old where). It just surprised me and really was out of character for her.

Thanks for the tips -- I have them both in calming collar things, and Clawdia is finally coming out for treats and food. I did feed them in the same room yesterday, and that worked out ok. Ill try your toy trick, too.

I don't expect them to be friends anymore at this point, but I would like them to be able to be near one another without stink eye and hissing. *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page