Behavior issue(not a joke) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Behavior issue(not a joke)

Last night when I got home from work MowMow seemed a bit distressed. NOt hurt or anything, just clingy and vocal. I had a few things to do (talk my mom through setting up roku over the phone) and it took a little while so I fed them when I was done. MowMow ate just fine but after dinner disappeared. I finally hunted him down to behind the chair in my bedroom. He refused to come out. i pulled the chair away from the wall and pulled him out and set him on the bed...where he sat unmoving. I called him from the other side of the bed and nothing.... He just sat there. I cleaned the litter boxes and put him in one where he peed (normal amount and no straining). Then he *ran* from the box to the window sill in the bedroom.

He seemed fine up there. Groomed himself a bit and played with the laser light when I pulled it out, but he wouldn't get off the window sill. I layed down on the bed and called him and he jumped from window to bed with no problem. He was SUPER twitchy though. Kept licking, but in random spots. He'd attack his tail, licking and biting.... then he'd attack his side licking and biting.... then his foot... then his belly... it was all very jerky and fast.... and he didn't want me to touch him but he didn't leave the bed when I did.

Whatever, I went to bed and he slept with me as usual. No problems. Then this morning I got up and he didn't follow me. Just stayed on the bed. I called him for breakfast and he came FLYING out of the bedroom and onto the back of the couch. Then to the hall table. Then onto the kitchen floor and onto the counter as fast as possible. After he ate I found him back on the bed. I coaxed him off with a shoelace (he can never resist those) and he played on the floor with it. I left him there and went for my shower. When I came back to the bedroom he was in the same spot, hunched up and started yelling at me as soon as he saw me. I sat on the floor and he came to me and I petted him. Then I got up and moved into the hallway. He didnt' want to follow me out there, he kept looking around but finally came to me and I petted him. I worked him into the living room that way. Sitting down every few feet and calling him. I got up and left him there because he SEEMED fine..... but by the time I got to the bedroom he came flying past me and laid down on the bed.

It's like he's suddenly AFRAID of the apartment....I put him in the litter box this morning about 3 times and he wouldn't use it. The third time he stopped on the way out to check Book's food bowl After he licked it clean he laid down next to it all hunched up.... he kept looking at the litter box so I thought he must have to go. I put him in it AGAIN and he pooped. When he was done he ran back to the spot in the bedroom where he had played with the string and sat there for ages while I got dressed. When I was done I sat on the bed and called him to pet him and he ran the few steps to the bedside table and jumped up on it. He sat there while I did my hair and I shoed him off before I left... he jumped over to the bed and settled there. I'm afraid he won't get up to use the litterbox today when he has to pee......

Sorry so long but I just don't understand his behavior. I wanted to be thorough in case someone sees something obvious that I'm missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Cat

I agree, it sounds like he's afraid of something on the floor. Could it have been some sort of bug or spider maybe. Have you checked his body for any insect bite marks? He sounds spooked by something, that's for sure.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Senior Cat

The first thing that comes to my mind is FHS, Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome.

The twitching and attacking himself are classic indications of this.

My recommendation, if this continues, is that you make him an appointment at the vet, video tape some episodes, and read up on FHS.

Often, it can be controlled with a diet change, eliminating things like anything artificial (preservatives, colors, flavors) sodium nitrites and sodium nitrates, grains etc. Sometimes medication is required. Vets seem to want to start with things like prozac (fluoxetine) or amitriptyline, the worse case scenario is a cat who needs phenobarbital.

Having said all that, other thoughts are: perhaps he's picked up a flea. If he's never had fleas, even one flea could be very upsetting. Or, something happened while you were away that frightened him, a loud noise from a neighboring apartment for instance.

Or pain. You said he peed last night, good, But has he peed since? Urinary tract blockage of course is always the first worry about males, I don't know what you feed him. Gas built up in the stomach, from a hairball lodged somewhere could also cause enough pain to cause strange behavior.

I had a cat once who had gas pain so bad he was screaming in pain. It was terrifying.

No matter what, if it continues, a trip to the vet is in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Cat Addict

First thing I wondered is if it was possible he got into anything poisonous. Reminds me of Blacky acting twitchy after a flea treatment for a few days. She even ran into a wall when she ran the wrong way off my bed. Another thought was pain for some underlying issue, like UTI since he wasn't walking to the box himself. Had he ever avoided the litter box before? I wouldn't totally panic yet, but if it continues past a few days... vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I didn't SEE him pee this morning but there were two or three clumps in the box when I cleaned it before work. I doubt they were all Book's from overnight. I palpated his belly this morning and it didn't feel like he had any urine in there. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, just unhappy. He eats EVO Venison and Before Grain Beef right now (all canned).

Even when I first brought him home and he struggled with the bad blockages and UTIs he never avoided the litterbox or eliminated someplace he shouldn't.

The flea idea DID cross my mind. Book has a little bare spot on his hind leg he's been paying too close attention to for about a week and a half. I was waiting to see if the hair started to grow back on it's own or if a vet visit was in order for him. He COULD have been worrying a flea and chewed the fur off. Goodness knows if one has them they both will.

Yeesh, I've never had to think about flea prevention for them before. They don't go outside and it's never been a problem before. I'd hate to use chemicals on them....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Cool Cat

My first inclination, based on your synopsis of MowMow's behaviour was also that maybe he was bitten by a flea or a tick, especially if Book also shows signs of itching/over-grooming. Some cats are allergic or more sensitive than other cats to flea bites, which could be why his behaviour is so out of whack. I'd take him to the vet and get him looked at, just in case.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

My first thought was fleas, too. When they get bit, it really must seem like they're being attacked by something invisible. My girls are inside cats, but I bring fleas in because of the stupid neighbor's cat that lives in my yard - and on my porch! I don't have the heart to bring him to Animal Control, although he'd be an awesome pet for someone, he's starved for attention.

I give Cleo Comfortis pills once a month. She's severely allergic to fleas. She lost lots of fur and weight when we went through this a few months ago. It's just now growing back in all over. I noticed the twinz reacting a bit, so I'll have to spray my place, vacuum everything and wash everything this weekend. I really don't want to pill the twinz, it's really expensive for just one cat.

I do hope it's something simple with Mow.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Marie, what do you spray your place with?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
My first inclination, based on your synopsis of MowMow's behaviour was also that maybe he was bitten by a flea or a tick, especially if Book also shows signs of itching/over-grooming. Some cats are allergic or more sensitive than other cats to flea bites, which could be why his behaviour is so out of whack. I'd take him to the vet and get him looked at, just in case.
I'm thinking fleas as well. Have both cats been treated recently for fleas/ticks? I treat my indoor cats about once every 4 months just as a preventative, and my dog is treated year round. Maybe start with a dawn dish soap bath and see if that helps initially.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Marie, what do you spray your place with?
Raid Flea, Carpet and Room Spray. It doesn't smell too bad. I put the girls in my bedroom, spray the rest of the house really well, let it sit for a good long time. Then I switch rooms. It's safe for pets, but I don't want them running around on the carpet right after I spray.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page