Play time with multiple cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Play time with multiple cats

Hi guys,

Sorry for bombarding with questions! I'm just so full of them. I want to be the best cat person as I can, and it's been sooo helpful to get your advice.

So, I have two 6 months olds kittens, and like all kittens, they love to play. Here is my problem.

Billi, the dominant one, is very agile and athletic. He can jump really high and chase very fast. He looooves to play, and he's generally good with anything on the string.

Aloo, the quieter but sweeter girl, is a bit slower. She doesn't like to chase toys as much as Billi does, but she likes if I drag a stick on the floor. I don't know why. She also likes crinkled paper and likes to fetch at times.

I usually try to have play time before I go to bed, and I have about 3 interactive toys, aside from the little toys scattered over the house (little mouse toys and balls). They get excited when I take out the toys, with one of them being da bird.

Billi doesn't mind da bird, but he prefers this other toy with a stick, a stretchy string, and a stuffed sock looking thing with a bell. He chases and catches till he starts panting.

I also try to play with Aloo, but she is withdrawn while Billi is playing. And when finally Billi is tired and lies on the floor, she's too picky with the toys and its movement, I can't engage her very well. She just sits and looks at it, paws it, but doesn't play vigorously. I try and try with different toys, but eventually Billi recovers and jumps on the toy.

How can I engage her better in her play? Is she intimidated with Billi's presence? Should I put Billi in the bathroom? But I'd feel bad doing that, since he's not doing anything bad.

I worry that Aloo is getting chunkier because she's not exercising enough. They do run around together though, chasing each other and wrestling. Could that be enough for her? I also have lots of cardboard boxes with holes for them to play in, and a small cat tower. Am I worrying too much??? (possibly hahaha)

Thank you so much for reading this long post. You guys have been so awesome! <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The Importance of Interactive Play with Your Cat

Hmmm I was just reading this. I'm not supposed to wave the thing frantically? But Billi does not stalk, he just GOES FOR IT ALL OUT. Maybe Aloo is more of the stalker in her hunt?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Cat

I have two cats right now and my youngest cat Rico is also the more dominant one and bigger in size (19lbs) than my female. He easily intimidates her with his jumping around and so I usually just separate them and play individually. My previous two cats both got in on the game and it was never an issue with playing with them together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Senior Cat

I'd also not worry about weight issues until after they turn 2. At that point they'll be about the size that they'll remain at. Right now they are still growing.

If they run around the house chasing each other and playing and wrestling and such then she's probably getting enough exercise. If you want to spend time with her playing then I'd suggest putting him in a room that has fun things in it so he knows he's not being punished and play with her for a while.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It's good to know that I don't have to worry about their weight too much for now. They are still fairly small, though they have grown quite a bit from 3 months ago.

They run around like crazy and play a lot. She seems a bit lazier though, lying down a lot! Hahaha. I wish I could separate them at times for individual play, but my 1 bedroom apartment does not have doors between rooms, and I'd feel bad putting Billi in closet or bathroom, as they are small spaces. Hopefully, Aloo is getting plenty of exercise from playing with Billi. Thought she does not chase toys much, I play with her with brown paper bags and such. She loves it!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Senior Cat

My girls tend to take turns at playing. When they do both go for it, we sometimes end up with cat collisions.

If Aloo likes the stick, you might try one of those sticks with something on the end. Mine go crazy for the stick with Mylar tassels on the end. I can get Lickorish running around in circles after that thing. I just start waving it around her and she'll start chasing it, darting back and forth and around as I change direction.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Stick toy might be a good idea. I might try the ribbon type thing on the stick, too. Gotta experiment and see what she likes. She does play fetch sometimes, and she she does, it's so cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page