They are closer than I thought! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

They are closer than I thought!

Wink and Timmy spend a lot of time playing and they usually sleep together, but they surprised me yesterday. I had just taken a shower, and almost as soon as I got out, Timmy, who had climbed up on the windowsill between the screen and the drapes, started screaming. He had somehow caught his rear claws into the drapes, and fell off the window sill, upside down, and was hanging there, and screaming very loudly. Immediately, I picked him up with one hand and was trying to get his foot loose when Wink came in, jumped up and sunk her teeth into my arm, and just hung there, "chomping" away. About the time she finally dropped off, I got Timmy loose and he got me too, a couple inches away from Wink's bite. Wink's bite must have hit a small artery, as there was LOT of blood streaming from one of the holes in my arm that I finally used pressure and a styptic pencil to stop.

Timmy was ok, and held no grudge, but Wink was very upset with me, and didn't want me to touch Timmy at all for about 45 minutes and would swat at me when I did try, and would growl at me if my hand went anywhere close to her for about a half hour. She spent a lot of time grooming Timmy, who seemed to enjoy all the attention. By the time I went to bed, everything was back to normal. I have to admit, I was kind of surprised by Wink's attack. It wouldn't have surprised me if a dog did it, but Wink's attack, especially since they've only been together for 6 weeks did. The bites sure showed the difference in size between Wink and Timmy, as Timmy's bite holes are about 50% wider spaced than Wink's is.

Last edited by hemiram; 03-28-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Premier Cat

Ouch!! Times like this remind us that they are animals at heart - no matter how much they seem to love us. Wink was reacting to Timmy's screams - even blaming you for her distress and Timmy reacted to Wink. A vicious cycle!

Watch those bites for sure! At the FIRST sign of undue redness and extraordinary pain high tail it to an emergency center!!! I was bit like that on the wrist and upper hand and ended up in the hospital for a week because of the infection! I was on a morphine drip within 12 hours of getting bit. I know it was unusual, but if it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.

I hope all calms down and your bites amount to nothing serious!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Cool Cat

Oh yikes! And all you did was help him! I guess cats can't see that huh...I hope your bites are nothing serious, and I hope Timmy will be a bit more careful with the drapes next time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Premier Cat

We were washing Sam's hiney in the sink one day and he was pitching quite the fit. Before we knew what happened, our little Missy (5 pounds on 4" legs) had jumped on to a bar stool and was ready to kill us - or him. We were so shocked that she was able to jump up there! I've seen her struggle to get up on the edge of the tub and the bar stool was easily twice that height! It's amazing what a cat can do when the adrenaline is flowing!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Senior Cat

My Little Cat screams in deafening decibels during nail trims and the other two girls always swarm and hover. I'm not sure if they think I am killing her or if they are offering moral support to her.

Since they go first, they know she is not being hurt, and she knows she is not being killed, but screaming is her thing. HELP! MURDER! I'M BEING KILLED! Every time. It's hilarious, but it sure makes my ears ring.

That accident is a good argument against leaving cats alone for "a few days" or even overnight.

I agree about the bites. Cat bites are very serious. Make sure you have their rabies vaccine certificates and go to the ER.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetimesfour View Post
My Little Cat screams in deafening decibels during nail trims and the other two girls always swarm and hover. I'm not sure if they think I am killing her or if they are offering moral support to her.

Since they go first, they know she is not being hurt, and she knows she is not being killed, but screaming is her thing. HELP! MURDER! I'M BEING KILLED! Every time. It's hilarious, but it sure makes my ears ring.

That accident is a good argument against leaving cats alone for "a few days" or even overnight.

I agree about the bites. Cat bites are very serious. Make sure you have their rabies vaccine certificates and go to the ER.
HA! Made me laugh out loud remembering when I was trying to brush my son's hair in public. He was about 4 and I took his chin/neck area in my hand to hold his head still and he suddenly rolled his eyes back in his head and made a choking sound!! People around me looked at me horrified!! I was SO embarrassed, but just had to laugh that this innocent little cherub could pull this off!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Ouch!! Times like this remind us that they are animals at heart - no matter how much they seem to love us. Wink was reacting to Timmy's screams - even blaming you for her distress and Timmy reacted to Wink. A vicious cycle!

Watch those bites for sure! At the FIRST sign of undue redness and extraordinary pain high tail it to an emergency center!!! I was bit like that on the wrist and upper hand and ended up in the hospital for a week because of the infection! I was on a morphine drip within 12 hours of getting bit. I know it was unusual, but if it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.

I hope all calms down and your bites amount to nothing serious!!
Everything is fine, including my bites, thanks. One scab from Timmy's bite fell off today, and the others are close to falling off. I don't seem to ever have problems with cat or dog bites. My mom was in the hospital twice with bad infections from her cat biting her while just playing. Barely broke the skin, and she washed it well, and put neosporin on it and still blew up really bad in a day. My old cat bit the **** out of me at the vet years ago (He was their worst ever patient ever at the time, there's a new champ now, and would totally lose control of himself), and because of his size, 25+ pounds and the force of the bites, I was kind of expecting them to get infected, but nothing happened, they just healed up, in a couple of weeks. Still hurt, a lot.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetimesfour View Post

Thanks for the replies.
They both had their rabies just before I adopted them a couple months ago. I seem to be immune to bites, they just turn a little red overnight and heal up. Last infection I got was on my leg from scraping something while walking around at a fairgrounds, that one was bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page