Does your cat meow? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Does your cat meow?

One of my 2 cats doesn't "meow"; instead, he makes a squeaking sound which is rather extremely cute. Our vet examined him and didn't find anything wrong with him medically.

I adopted a third kitten and realized she also doesn't "meow". Instead, she makes raspy low barking sound when she wants something. She is 8 months old now and is a very healthy cat but just sounds like she is a heavy smoker.

So is it pretty common that some cats don't "meow"?

Would being spayed or neutered at too young age cause such effect? The third kitty we adopted was not even 2.5 lbs but she was already spayed. Are there any known implications from being spayed/neutered at such young age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Premier Cat

A better question in my house (and one often asked) is 'do my cats ever shut up?'..
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Jr. Cat

my cat meows a lot, he's a big talker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Cat

I got my cats around 7 weeks and neither made much noise until they were 4 or 5 months old. My girl cat has gotten more and more vocal (9 mos old now); now she meows or trills at meal time, when she wants attention, when she is looking for the other cat, feels like being noisy, etc. My boy cat makes a squeaky sounding meow and it's generally only when he thinks I'm taking too long to feed him (the food should be out of the can, in the cat bowl, and served in 10 seconds or less).

I think some cats are just more vocal than others; it's not necessarily a medical issue. I know some cats who meow non-stop and others who don't make a peep. It just depends on the cat.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Cat Addict

Penny has a classic sweet meow. Nala mostly trills, but when she really wants your attention it becomes more of a bleat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Kitten

Lily only meows when she wants food.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Cat

Some of my cats meow, some are silent. Some chirp, some squeak. Some purr loudly and some rarely or quietly purr. It's all the individual kitty.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
A better question in my house (and one often asked) is 'do my cats ever shut up?'..
Lol! Same here. There's no way you can even get a glass a water in the kitchen without her whining for food.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Kitten

Oni doesn't meow much. She does it a bit more after we got London. London, on the other hand, you can't shut her up. She's always whinging for love. Meow "Look at me I'm cute and fluffy." Meow "Ohh you want to pet meeee, you can't resist the cuteness!" Meow meow meow "What?! You want to sleep?! I don't think so."
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Cool Cat

Both my cats are very quiet (thank god!). Meatball only chirp, a "feature" of her breed, and she only does that when she welcomes me (either when I'm off work or get up from bed). Metoo has a silver-bell like meow, very pleasing to the ears. She usually meows when she jumps on my lap and snuggle. I take it as a command of "pet me now"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page