Withdrawn stressed cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Withdrawn stressed cat

So we have had our two rescue cats for 8 months now. They had both come from the same homes when we adopted them and they are both 10 years old.

They have both been neutered and have always had access to outside. There were a few teething problems when they first arrived but they seemed to settle in pretty well.

Tyger seemed to become very attached to me and always followed me around meowing and we had problems with him scratching and meowing at the bedroom door and window at night time. He loves to sleep in bed with us but he keeps us awake at night time and due to his unpredictable behaviour with spraying we have to shut him from upstairs at night time.

For the past 5 months or so he has been spraying large amounts of urine in the house. He had been going outside to urinate prior to this and we have seen him do so since. So we resorted back to having 3 litter trays throughout the house in areas that we quiet and not near his food etc. we also tried two feliway diffusers to help calm him down.

Unfortunately this hasn't been successful and he keeps doing this. We have had to put sscat sprayers on the kitchen worktops to discourage him from spraying on their as he sprayed into an electric socket which turned the power off to the house!

He always has lots of cuddles and attention and we always play with him daily. He seems to get on well with snoopy still but they do have little scraps ever now and then.

We did find that a tabby cat on the street was entering the house and sleeping in our lounge/ eating their food so we changed the cat flap to a microchip one which only lets the two of them in. We did this about 4 months ago now so it can't be stress from that.

He does not tend to do it in the same spot and sometimes he can go a week without having an accident. There's just no patten to it.

We have taken him to the vets twice and they think he is stressed and there is nothing medically wrong with him. He has started on zylkene once daily two weeks ago and we have had fewer problems so far but it's still not solved.

He now just seems sleepy and a bit sad looking. He isn't meowing as much as just looks depressed. We really don't know what else to do as we don't want him to be unhappy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks Helen

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

This is a toughie....since Tyger has been checked out for any urinary problems it seems this is behavioral. What were the circumstances that you adopted Tyger and Snoopy...do you know if they were being given up because of spraying? When Tyger arrived at your place and for the first 3 mos. that you've had him was he consistently using the litter box or was he spraying occasionally? If he suddenly started spraying did it coincide with the outside cat coming into your home thro the cat flap? That would be a very natural reaction to an invasion of his territory! You were wise to change to the microchip flap. Oftentimes once a male (neutered or not) gets into the habit of spraying it's very difficult to get them to use the litter box consistently. It's possible there are still traces of urine in your house from the outside cat's spray. I suggest you get a "black light", some enzyme type cleaner such as "Nature's Miracle" (vinegar won't cut it!) and go over your whole house with the light and clean every spot you see. You don't want to given him any excuse to not use the litter pan. Get some "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter" and see if that makes a difference. If he uses the pan regularly, you can gradually decrease the attract litter or just dress the top of your regular litter. The longer the cat goes with spraying indoors, the more difficulty it is in trying to correct the behavior, if at all. Hope you have good luck!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your advise. It seemed that the spraying started once the tabby cat came on the scene as he was using the litter tray for a little while after he came home. We have also tried the uv light and urine off spray and biological washing powder searching the house from top to bottom. We are running out of ideas. Unfortunately it maybe coming to the time that we may need to re home him. I'm so worried that he is just not happy here and I want what is best for him. It would be cruel of us to keep him here if he really is stressed at other cats on the street, just because we love him. At the same time I don't want to give up on him if there's something we can do to help and keep him with us. They were both taken to the rescue centre as their owner new partner got a dog which the cats didn't go on well with. We have contacted the centre for their advise and also asked them if there is any history of tyger spaying which there is no history of.

Thank you for your suggestions, feeling very helpless about it all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Premier Cat

If your cat is use to going outside and kept inside. He could be bored. do you play with him every day. Cats need to stimulation and fun play time for good mental health. Also if there is a cat outside he is spraying to mark his territory. TNR this cat which is coming by. Can you build an out door enclosure that your cat could go out side and be safe in so he has the mental stimulation of semi experiencing the out of doors?

Jackson Gallaxy has dealt with this subject many times in his tv program. Go thru old episodes and see his remedies. Here is one page and he has many more that deal with spraying. Spraying | Jackson Galaxy

As Catloverami said to use the Cat Attract Litter by Dr Elsey and saturate and clean the heck out of all areas with have been sprayed with an enzyme cleaner designed to clean cat spray. If they can smell where they sprayed they will use that spot again.

Dont give up on this cat. It can be solved if you are comitted to helping his frustration and unhappiness. Think like a cat. A good book is Cat vs Cat by Pamela Bennett Johnson to read. You have to start thinking like a cat to solve his issues.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We are definitely committed and re homing him would be an option that I dread the thought of.

He does to outside and has access to a cat flap. We do play with him every day although he has been less playful over the past week and just wanting to sleep a lot more. I'm not sure if that is due to the medication he has just started.

I hadn't even thought of a cat enclosure for outside. That would be a good idea, not sure how we could work it for our other cat to go out as he is more of an explorer. Thank you for the link to the web site too. It's very useful.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Cat Addict

ok, I found information on the medication you've been giving him this past week.

Zylkene

Zylkene is a natural product derived from milk proteins that has been proven to help your cat or dog cope in times of stress and adapt to change. Can be used for short periods or continuously if needed.Zylkene is a revolutionary new product used to help cats and dogs cope with stress. It is a food supplement made from a protein found in milk (the same molecule that helps babies relax after a milk feed). The active ingredient is a peptide (a protein molecule) which is able to bind temporarily to certain receptors in the brain. This has a calming influence similar in some ways to tranquillizer drugs, but without the side effects associated such as sedation or memory loss. It has been clinically proven to be effective in dogs and cats.
It can be used for the following situations:

- Environmental changes - e.g. new pet, new baby or house move
- Multicat households
- Cattery or kennel stay
- Fireworks
- Home Alone
- Travel

I found it off this site: Zylkene

I know this sounds weird and you said you've gotten a cat flap where only your cats can enter (good!) BUT are THEY aware they are the only ones that can enter.
My guess is no. It tends to make a difference.
My cats all know they come in at night and I lock the cat flap. No one can get in and they can't get out. They know they can't gt out, so they associate that in their head with nothing being able to get in.
They feel secure at night and sleep/ lounge all over the house and no one has toilet issues.
Perhaps if at night you kept them in and maybe blocked the cat flap (peice of cardboard over it held by tape, or box in front of it, you get the idea) something they can associate with feeling secure.
It would also require setting up a routine which is another thing that helps in them feeling secure. (just like children) Let them out every morning, same time, have them come in for their last meal, block the cat flap then. (just a suggestion)
That combined with your medication may make a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

So we tried your suggestion last night and locked the cat flap. Our other cat snoopy didn't like it so much though and was meowing to go outside that we had to go let him out at 2am and then I didn't sleep waiting to hear him come back all night. In theory it's a brilliant idea just not sure it's going to work for us with having two very different kitties. Fingers crossed tonight goes a bit better!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Cat Addict

establishing a new routine is at best "challenging" where cats are concerned. I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep

All paws crossed for you over here that tonight goes a bit better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

It sure is challenging! 2nd night still not brilliant but will keep at it, we will try anything! Thank you for your suggestions. Tyger has still had 2 incidents since yesterday

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie19 View Post
It sure is challenging! 2nd night still not brilliant but will keep at it, we will try anything! Thank you for your suggestions. Tyger has still had 2 incidents since yesterday

Might be a silly idea but if the spraying may be due to territorial issues...
How about adding a litter box next to the cat flap you've blocked off?
Your sprayer would be able to "mark" the area that he feels is most vulnerable to an outside attack, while he stays inside...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page