Wall scratching - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Wall scratching

Numly is an avid wall scratcher. We have multiple scratching posts. We have two standing posts (one is part of a tree), one that hangs from a door knob and two floor ones. She rarely uses those and always uses the wall.
And ideas on how to change this? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1377377856.090282.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	26889

Just wanted to throw in a funny picture of her I just took. Haha

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Senior Cat

What kind of wall is that? Doesn't look like flat dry wall... Maybe try getting a board of whatever texture your wall is, spray it with cat nip and see if she goes for that, every time she goes for an area of the wall that isn't that divert her attention with a stern no, or loud clap. She might not enjoy the texture of her scratching posts, but you could always rub them down with cat nip as well to see if she likes them better.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's like a popcorn wall, it has a rough texture so I get that it can feel good. I cover her posts in catnip and she will use it for a few minutes and then go back to the wall. I'll just have to keep with the loud noises. I usually clap loudly and she stops.
Yesterday she got a claw
Stuck in a light switch and I had to pull her out. She was stuck pretty
Badly. I'm worried of something like that happening when no one is home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Senior Cat

Do you give her attention when she scratches the wall? Even if just to stop her?

I'd say do the new kitten thing. Take her paws and scratch them on the scratching post, then give her a treat - if she's food driven. Ignore when she scratches the wall, if you can.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Senior Cat

Also, if there's a certain area she's scratching more, move the scratching post there.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Senior Cat

You could try spraying Feliway 2x/day on the spot/s she scratches on - this might reduce her need to scratch/mark in those spots.

If she is scratching in specific spots, sturdy wall mounted (they need to be immovable as she won't scratch on anything that shifts when she scratches) scratch pads installed in those spots may help too.
Maybe something like this?

Standard Wall-Mount Cat Scratcher-Cat Toys, Cat Supplies, Cat Products, Cat Furniture, Catnip, Cat Scratching Posts, Cat Beds, Cat Litter

You could also try covering the area she is scratching with aluminium foil or cardboard covered with Sticky Paws. This deters some cats, but not all.

Good luck!

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Premier Cat

This is one of my solutions to kitties looking for a longer/taller scratch stretch!
Its anchored into the wall, and I'll spray it every now and then with Strong "Cat Nip"
tea!
They like the wrap around corner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1377384833546.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	26905  

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Cat Addict

I had a wall scratcher, but she came declawed. she still looked like she was trying to climb the wall, and loves to do the motion to mirrors and the bathtub. it looks hilarious like she's running and not getting anywhere.

the middle one only uses the scratching post and his turbo scratcher, but if I leave anything leather out, he will shred it.

the youngest one will randomly scratch weird things in addition to using the post and turbo--my bed (???? lol) stereo speakers, glossy magazine covers.

you might try a turbo scratcher. it's round and has a ball in a track that goes around the outside, and the center is corrugated cardboard. when they wear it out, you just get a refill. mine love to play with it and you can rub catnip in it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! The boards on the walls seem like a good idea, she loves
Corners.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbyFace View Post
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! The boards on the walls seem like a good idea, she loves
Corners.

If you decide to do this, use a 'Soft' wood
like pine, fir, or ceder.
You can use a Steel Brush to 'Roughen' the wood, roughen in the direction the cat scratches, Downward!
To let kitty know its OK to scratch here, spray with Catnip!
I wanted cats to be able to enjoy a tall/long stretch, so my boards are 40 inches tall!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page