has your cat found the mirror yet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

has your cat found the mirror yet?

I have a cheval mirror in the bedroom, and my cat that has since passed was always fascinated with the "other cat" in that "other room" he couldn't get to. he used to look and look, and then walk behind it, come back and look some more.

of course my blind cat isn't affected, but my six year-old always ignored it. maybe it just wasn't turned right so he could see himself, but a few days ago, I caught him looking in it and it was SO funny. he was sticking his face up to it sideways, trying to look inside it. my youngest cat really seems to not care. he never goes up to that one but he jumps on the bathroom sink all the time and sits right by the mirror and does nothing. but Baci was doing the pigeon head and his eyes were really big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Cool Cat

Mine has never shown any interest in a mirror. Not even the slightest.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Premier Cat

Me either. They just don't seem to care or even notice for that fact. I think it may primarily a kitten thing?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Cat Addict

Sadie seems to have recently taken an interest. I see the pause and stare, then the head bob side to side, more stare then the mad dart off as if it was a monster LOL
The other two couldn't care less, it's just another piece of furniture to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

none of my kittens ever did it, of course I've never had those floor to ceiling closet door mirrors that you see the kittens on you-tube sparring with. Coda was 14 when I got the cheval, and he went for it immediately. I had one on the bathroom door where I used to live, and I think it was just high enough off the floor that it never caught his eye. sometimes I tilt this one so I can see my shoes or how my pants are hanging at the bottom, and it stays occasionally and other times doesn't. Baci is six and never seems to have noticed it before. he's sort of smart and sort of not. he has learned what pointing means, but almost every other cat I've had would look at my finger and not where I was pointing. I think he figured it out because I was pointing at little pieces of food I threw that he missed. not to be outdone, Houdini is picking it up too. they are both highly entertained by anything involving food.

the other thing he's fixated on is the dvd drawer coming in and out. one day I made it open and close like five times just because the way he was staring at it made me laugh.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Cat Addict

Simon liked the mirror. His thing was he would do the bit where cats stand on their hind legs and run their front paw pads in fast downward motions against a vertical surface. I think it felt good on his paws. But he would maintain eye contact with himself while doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Premier Cat

After every meal, MowMow goes into the bedroom and grooms in front of the full length mirror. I'm sure it has more to do with the fact it's right by the heater but it always LOOOKS like he's going in to groom and make sure he all perfect after meals.

Book stares into the mirror, but doesn't seem interested in the cat in the reflection.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Cat Addict

ET has never seen a mirror, I don't know how he would react, but hubby did ask me couple months back, to let ET see himself in the mirror, but I never did, just didn't wanna scare him, lol.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat face View Post
Sadie seems to have recently taken an interest. I see the pause and stare, then the head bob side to side, more stare then the mad dart off as if it was a monster LOL
that's hilarious. Baci didn't have time to see a monster, I had Da Bird out and was waving it behind him to see if he would notice but he didn't so I touched him with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
Simon liked the mirror. His thing was he would do the bit where cats stand on their hind legs and run their front paw pads in fast downward motions against a vertical surface. I think it felt good on his paws. But he would maintain eye contact with himself while doing it.
Diotima does that in the bathtub. I laugh at that one too. She also likes to get in the bathtub (no water) and just play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Book stares into the mirror, but doesn't seem interested in the cat in the reflection.
I wonder what he's looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
ET has never seen a mirror, I don't know how he would react, but hubby did ask me couple months back, to let ET see himself in the mirror, but I never did, just didn't wanna scare him, lol.
HAHAHA that just seems like such a weird thing for your husband to ask. but you know what, I've tried to show my cats themselves in hand mirrors and they were all like, "leave me alone," so it only seems to work when they notice it on their own.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Cool Cat

Zephyr used to be fascinated with what we called "the other kitten" (really his reflection in a full-length mirror) when he was a baby, but he outgrew it. I think he figured it out.

Maisie has never shown much interest in his reflection, either.

It'll be interesting to see how Bentley reacts. I don't know if he has ever seen a mirror.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page