One of my cats pees on my bed when i am asleep - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

One of my cats pees on my bed when i am asleep

One of my cats pees on my bed when i am asleep.
I changed the litter box every day but he still pees on my bed.
I scoop out the clumps before going to bed but still he pees on my bed down by my feet. I spray the wet spot on the bed with a Pet odor neutralizer...

In the morning the litter needs t be changed so i think he is peeing on my bed because the litter is too dirty at the time??
I live in a 3 room apartment and there inside cats.
Should i get a second litter box?
My cats pee alot. How much should they pee in a day?

Last edited by marie73; 09-01-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Cat

The idea is to have the same amount of boxes per cat plus an extra one. So 1 cat - 2 boxes, 2 cats - 3 boxes, 9 cats - 10 boxes etc etc.

I don't think those sprays are strong enough to really get down and remove the smell. Even if we can't smell it anymore, the cats can.

I have a bed wetter. For some reason Oscar wee's on any pet bed shaped thing. Now I just have 1 piece of vetbed down for the 3 of them and Oscar isn't allowed in the living room or our bedroom when we aren't home.

I hope someone can help you more with how to clean your bed and why he might be doing it?

Oh and my guys pee 2-4 times a day. Which the vet said is normal. Tinker onlys pee's 1-2 times but that is bad constant battle trying to get that boy to take in fluids!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecatguy View Post
In the morning the litter needs t be changed so i think he is peeing on my bed because the litter is too dirty at the time??
Likely, yes. This is most probable explanation. Cats will frequently avoid the litterbox if it is not clean to their satisfaction, and it's not uncommon for them to do their business in highly visible or deliberately annoying areas to draw your attention to the problem, since they can't tell you in words.

Pushkabounce is totally right here.

I think the problem is just that you don't have enough litterboxes for the size of your feline family. For three cats, you should have at least three litterboxes and ideally four.

It's also important to clean the area thoroughly once the cat has urinated on it, because when a cat smells urine in a spot it will tend to pee there in the future too. Odor neutralizers mask the odor so that humans can't perceive it, but what you really need to do is eliminate it. I would suggest an enzymatic cleaner to do that. Personally, I like Nature's Miracle.

If you continue to have trouble, it would be worth taking your cat to the vet to rule out a UTI, but to me this sounds behavioral and I think you can correct it by adding more litterboxes and using an enzymatic cleaner on the affected area so the cat doesn't return to urinate there again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Cat

I think some cats pees on bed to show that there is something he isn't happy about. Maybe he doesn't like sharing box coz he doesn't wanna or it's too dirty. Or something happened if you recall?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Cat Addict

I am thinking it is not that the litter box is too dirty, since you clean it daily. I am thinking UTI or crystals, and that needs to be checked out by a vet, unfortuately, or it will get much, much worse if it is one of those things and is not treated. YOu will end up in an after hours ER paying a fortune. What kind of diet do your cats eat? If it is entirely dry, it very well could be crystals or UTI. This happened to one of my cats 5 years ago, when he was on an all dry diet, and we learned what was better for him since he was prone to crystals. The diet is a very important factor in off of this.

I hope that all is well with him and it is not UTI or crystals, but they will start peeing on something soft if it is one of those, because they associate the litter box with pain, and seek out softer places to pee. Good luck with your kitty, I hope you figure out the cause soon.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Senior Cat

In my two-cat, two litter box home, cleaning them out once a day isn't enough; I typically clean them out every 16 hours, approximately i.e. first thing in the morning, last thing at night on day one, then the afternoon when I get home on day two, then I repeat the schedule. Twice a day works too, and this is what I tell the cat-sitter to do when I'm away. Of course, this depends on factors like the size of the litter box, and the cats' diets, etc...

Litter box cleanliness is one part of cat care I don't mess around with, due to the potential consequences.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

My cats eat a lot of dry food, i give them some wet food sometime.
I am going to try scooping it out more then i am now... I really could not handle having 4 cat boxes..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Cool Cat

Some cats are more fastidious than others, so while some cats are happy to use a pan numerous times before acting bothered by the mess, others seem to find the very idea offensive. If my sister's cat, Bella, has to go and the litterbox hasn't been scooped since the last time she used it, she'll stand by the box and meow incessantly until someone comes and cleans up the offending clump. When you have multiple cats, the litterbox can become more of an issue, not only because it gets dirtier more quickly, but also because one cat may decide not to use a pan on the grounds that another has used it first.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Premier Cat

I have 7 cats and 4 extra large litter boxes,
I keep lids on three and the fourth un-lidded, so cats have a choice as to which they feel more comfortable with!
I scoop, minimum, twice a day, when I'm home, three times a day!
And for some reason, cats like to pee in one and poo in another!
Cats are very particular about their toilet!
Think about your own "Eewwww" factor if you had to use the toilet after someone else did and didn't flush!!
For right now, I really would suggest an extra litter box in the bedroom, and see if that doesn't help the situation.
I know...it may not be your first choice!
But you need to break the cycle of him using your bed!!
Good Luck!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Cat Addict

since you feed predominantly dry food, i'd definitely have the vet check for any urinary issues even if you think it's completely behavioral, especially if he just started.

if you think you can't handle another litter box, think about which you prefer: pee in your bed or another box. I went through this exact same issue for over two years and he wanted a box (I already had two) right next to my bed. I even replaced him with a kitten and when I put another box in here for that one, that's how I found out. he only peed on the bed once after that and it was because I changed the one in here to a clevercat top entry box and he doesn't want it. he wants the right box in the right place.

definitely clean the boxes more. I hated the issue of tracking and odor, but I changed to pine pellets so there's no tracking and absolutely zero urine odor. but don't change your litter before you get him going into the box consistently. I was very nervous about changing but the bed wetter took it just fine. maybe if you don't want to add a box, at least move one of the three by your bed, and have him cleared by the vet.

I have known other people with bed wetters as well and putting one by where they were going solved the problem.

as far as cleaners go, mattresses are almost impossible and I ended up throwing everything away because I didn't feel like I could get it clean enough. but don't get rid of your mattress before he stops, they're expensive. if you can't afford a new one anywhere in the near future, I used F.O.N. and then you could put one of those rubber zipping mattress protectors ($15) over it and a cotton mattress pad ($20) on top of that. but I would definitely use a better enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle, F.O.N. or Fizzion for the bedding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page