Harness: good idea or bad idea? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Harness: good idea or bad idea?

My cat absolutely hates being in a carrier and I have a horrible time putting him in. And even when I finally do get him in he uses the most pitiful heart wrenching meow he can and I can barely stand it. I've been thinking about getting a harness to use when I have to take him to the vet or take him outside in, but I've read some reviews about cats getting loose and I don't know if I want to take that chance. Could harnesses be a good idea? Anyone have any issues or love them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Cat

Cats can squirm out of some pretty cozy harnesses -- they are more flexible than dogs.

I don't know the brand name, but there is this excellent "jacket" type harness available, you'll have to check on the internet. I had one for my old kitty and it was comfy but no way she could get out.

The jacket fits like a little coat, those goofy things that vain pet owners force onto their pets, but this one has snug velcro belts that fit around the stomach and it's impossible for the cat to wiggle out. The leash snaps onto the top of the "coat".

Your cat may not like it but the cat will also be very safe and secure and can't escape to run out into traffic or some other peril.

However, your vet or groomer may require a carrier when you bring in your cat. I've used those "soft-side" suitcase style carriers with excellent success for my cats -- the soft fabric material seems to be less threatening than the hard shell plastic carrier. At least it seems that way. These fabric-style carriers also have a handy shoulder strap for easier carry, and your cat won't get bounced around inside the hard shell, instead a much softer interior with less bumping.

Most big pet supply stores should have both the soft-side carriers and the coat-velcro harness rigs.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Cat

well what i would do is get him used to the cat carrier.
Set up some kind of little bed in the carrier and put it somewhere with the door open...
I have a cat harness and it works..
Its ment for a small dog. but it works.
I would like to get one of this:
Crazy K Farm Kitty Holster Cat Harness
My cat don't mine the harness i use now.
But it would still be nice to have the better one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned

We tried a harness when they were kittens and it did NOT work. They got away. Thankfully, they came back, but if you are nervous, unless there is something better than 8 years ago, I would not assume a good result.

Editing to add...just checked the link you posted and that was not what we used. That one sure looks sturdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page