Cat used to like me -( (this will be long) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cat used to like me -( (this will be long)

When I adopted an abandoned mom and her 6 month kitten, I thought he was so beautiful - white with a little meow. He seemed to adapt to me after I did the room seclusion taming thing. They are indoor and outdoor cats. During the cooler weather he was a lap kitty a lot and even when it got warmer he would come in and say hello throughout the day a bit. There was problems with his adolescence with mama and him bothering her a lot. He still will chase her but they seemed to have worked out that better. She stays in the house right by me most of the time and he is out all of the time except for night. I miss him. He doesn't seem to want to be close and if he does allow me to pet him it is only for a minute or so. I have played with him some at night the way he likes - he hides under blanket and can roughly attack a mouse on a string through the blanket. I was away one night with a cat sitter and when I came back he did let me pet him and looked at me like he missed me a bit. The back out and didn't come home when I called him. So I was worried but he did come in at some point by himself. He seems to be eating less and getting fatter.
I so see him walk in the yard sometime but he doesn't stop in to say hello much. It has been hot really hot here but instead of coming in, he is out even more.
I am wondering if he has another home?
Should I take this personally?
He hates being confined and then stays away longer so I have let him call the shots. The food used to bring him back but he is eating less. Just seems fussier and yet not getting thin but looks bigger. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Premier Cat

How old is he now?? He may have found a sympathetic soul that is feeding him. If he is not accepting your food that is most likely what has happened. No, don't take it personally. Think of it as your child, love and cuddles until he is 18 (if your fortunate) then goes off on his own and rarely calls mom (or dad - whatever you are). It's not personal, it's just them enjoying the big new world.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

He is approx. almost 2 years old. It's just I worry a lot more when I can't track his food and habits more. Also I just had a new grand child and even though I had a cat sitter for the one night I was gone, I will have to do that more and don't want him to disappear or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Cat

It's certainly possible that your boy has taken to wandering over to a neighbour's house if they've also been feeding him. Does he wear a collar? If so, you could try attaching a note to it asking his possible "other family" to give you a call.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
It's certainly possible that your boy has taken to wandering over to a neighbour's house if they've also been feeding him. Does he wear a collar? If so, you could try attaching a note to it asking his possible "other family" to give you a call.
That is a great idea! The note can say please stop feeding him or please take over 100% of the responsibility or whatever. I understand how you feel, but unless a cat is 100% indoors you can't really control who they socialize with.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My point - he doesn't like me -(
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Premier Cat

I guess you could always adopt another indoor cat. That'll show him - ungrateful snit!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Probably they have the dry food! Yum he says! Funny thing the mama didn't appeal to me much and she is the sweetest most loyal cat and it all shows through.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
My point - he doesn't like me -(
No, the point is that you have an indoor outdoor cat and this is one of the risks you take. That they find a home (or two or three)that has better tasting food and you can become just another 'stop' in their daily excursions.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I can't imagine trying to keep him in. He hates it. I guess he was born outdoors and lived there for 9+ months before I adopted him. He seems to like outdoors better than in. I always had outdoor/indoor cats but only one male. The females always hung around and were sweet. The other male fought a lot. We kept him in for a year and he seemed like he lost his will to live. He was a different cat, emptiness in his eyes. So he was able to go out again. I know it would be best for them to be indoor only and my female pretty much made herself that way but she does go out to lay in the yard and comes in when she wants. I just want him to be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page