Cats sense of smell - How much stronger than ours? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cats sense of smell - How much stronger than ours?

I am just trying to determine if the spray i am using (see rug thread) is more effective for them than for me.

I can walk through the area an hour later and not smell it at all. But, can they still??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Senior Cat

It's about 14 times as strong. Unless the cleaning agent you are using is an enzyme one; which will break down the uric acid crystals - which is what your cat is smelling and brings them back to the same place, you are wasting your time. ...

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 AM
Premier Cat

According to one of my books, a cats sense of smell is approximately 14 times stronger than a humans!
People have about five million odor-sensitive cells in their noses, cats have approximately 200 million!
So this is why its so important to keep litter boxes clean and to totally destroy
the smell in/on anything that a cat has
marked, peed on, sprayed, etc.
This also explains why they can pick up the scent of an intruder outside, that is marking or spraying!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 AM
Tom Cat

I know if I put food out for my guys and they are all out. As soon as that food is down in the kitchen they come flying through the kitchen window from wherever! So very very strong sense of smell!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Cat Addict

Extremely keen! I once had a tiny bit of a cat treat stick lift over (about an inch) I found on the floor where someone had tossed and played with their food again LOL
Anyway, I picked it up and put it in the kibble bowl.

Later that afternoon I happened to be standing in the kitchen when my rowdy clowdey (mocking the word "clowdar") strolled through the back door, Sadie was first through the doorway in the kitchen.

As she passed the bowl, she was at least 2 feet away from it AND never saw me put anything in the bowl, and she stopped, started sniffing a little like a dog, then turned her head towards the bowl and walked over to discover the tiny treat. She ate it and that was it, she wasn't interested in the kibble right then.

I thought to myself WOW, now that is one good sniffer.

I was also in the utility room, sorting out their food and treat cabinet. I happened to spill some treats on the floor. I picked them all up, so I thought.
Belle kept trying to dig behind this huge bag of cat litter. She would sniff and try to reach her arm through the gap at the bottom of the bag and wall.

After telling her off for 2 days, I determined there must be something there. Usually she does weird things like dig under the freezer or something just because. So anyway I moved the bag, sure enough there was one tiny PIECE of a treat!! Sheesh!! LOL
But it illustrates just how good their sense of smell is.

Their hearing is even better, better then most dogs too. They can hear the pitch to electrical current flowing to your kettle. Thats why cats seem so scatty over noises that aren't THAT bad, to you and I, but to them it's deafening.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Cat Addict

If there has been a lizard brought into the house even after it is long gone, I see the cats smelling down the path that it took. They sniffed out a rodent in my garage. They can hear and smell very well. I feel bad that they have to listen to my TV being played so loud
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Cat Addict

I had dog food in a air tight plastic container and my cat just went in the garage and knocked it off the shelf, got the top off and was having a feast like she hadn't eaten - just 2.5 hours ago. They do miss the dry food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page