Introducing new kitten to residents HELP!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introducing new kitten to residents HELP!!!

Hello! I have recently joined your site as I really need some help.

My partner was recently given by someone at work a kitten because they couldn't cope and they knew we had 3 others. Ste being the man that he is couldn't say no because he felt so sorry for him and did not like the idea of the kitten being pawned off to someone else when we could give him a loving home. The couple got him when he was 6 weeks and he is now 9 weeks old (we've had him just over a week now in his safe room). We have renamed him Eddard (any Game of Throne fans will know!)

I've read as much as I can and even looked at YouTube videos about introducing the cats. My current 3 residents are Ziggy Tilly & Toot (Ziggy and Toot are my boys and Tilly is my girl all neutered and spayed) and are 2 years old. These 3 came from the same litter so we had no issues with trying to introduce them.

Now I've turned the spare room into a safe room for Lil Eddard and he's got water, food, litter and plenty of toys and gets plenty of attention. When he came to us I did the towel and brush thing where you rub the scent around the house and on the residents and when we've moved Eddard to the living room, I've let the others in the safe room to have a good sniff around.
Eddard is now getting extremely confident and is running out of his safe room when the door is opened and the other 3 are all surprisingly waiting around on the landing, my boys are more intrigued by him and they are hissing and growling and batting him away with their paws but from what I've read this is normal behaviour from resident cats. My main problem is Tilly, her body language is a lot different to the other 2, her growl and hissing sound a lot more violent and Eddard this morning tried to run up to her and she sounded very violent and angry towards him. I don't want to stress any of them out and I am concerned for all 4 of them.

Just as a side note the behaviour of my 3 resident cats have not changed towards me or my partner, they still purr and nudge and act normal when Eddard is in his room.

I am really looking for help as I feel we might have not done the right thing by taking this little guy on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Jr. Cat

It could be that the female is trying to make sure the kitten knows she's not going to be a replacement mom. I'm kind of astounded at how my female cat reacts to kittens. She wants nothing to do with them. Once he grows up she'll probably mellow.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks, all he wants to do is playfight with the boys and he seems to win quite frequently, but he's gone to run at Tilly and she snarls and growls and goes for him, but as soon as he runs she chases after them? That is the 1 thing I can't understand she is so intrigued by him but if he comes near she becomes aggressive but then when he leaves the room she tries to find him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Senior Cat

A week is hardly any time at all when it comes to cat intros. Some cats will be best buddies within a few days, others can take months, it really just depends on the cats. Think of it this way, wouldn't you need more than a week to adjust to a complete stranger all of a sudden becoming part of your household? Just keep doing what you've been doing, and give it time.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the replies! He has become part of the furry group better than I expected, I'd accidentlly left his safe room ajar on Monday, woke up through the night & he was curled up with the 2 other boys at the foot of the bed purring loudly so a relief! Tilly still isn't 100% keen on him but she's not lashing out, just half attempts at growling and chasing him through the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page