1 month old kittens, lots of behavior questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

1 month old kittens, lots of behavior questions

I never wanted kittens, but these were going to die in the street. I can't afford keeping them, so they'll probably go back to the streets in a few months when they're bigger (no shelters or adoptions here).

What important things should I do/know/take into account at this stage?

Right now the biggest and very puzzling problem I'm facing is that my extra-large sized cat Prince is terrified of the kittens so he suffers a lot. Same for Nikita. Princess is less perturbed, but she's scared too. Don't cats realize an advantage in size? Or is the fact that new cats share their territory that terrifies them? I don't have an extra room and the kittens cry all the time if I try to close them all day and night in the bathroom.

All advice welcome and thank you in advance!

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Kitten

Location: Originally from Chicago, right now living in Morristown, TN
If there are no shelters in your area, you can find homes for them later, but meantime, just take care of them. Give them a large cardboard box with a soft towel or blanket to sleep in. Give them some play time also. Are they weaned yet? Or are they still on formula(milk)?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Senior Cat

At 4 weeks they'll probably be able to escape a cardboard box with sides less than 12 inches high. They should be starting on solids, if they aren't already. You can add a bit of warm water if taking "bites" of food seem to be beyond them.

As for your current cats, try to give them lots of extra love and attention. Size doesn't seem to have much effect on the hierarchy in the cat world...it's more personality based, in my experience. The largest cat in my house is second to last in the pecking order and the smallest cat is right at the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

They eat raw and canned and love it. They wouldn't take formula, a bottle or kibble and, ever since I've switched them to raw and wet, they refuse to drink water. They do love drinking the water that remains after defrosting chicken. And they go crazy for the wet and raw, while with kibble they were crying all day and couldn't sleep.

I made them a lovely home inside a huge dog cage with 2 storeys, but they don't go there (prefer to run around the house) except when I'm not in the house, or to use the litter box. They use the litter-box perfectly well. They play a lot with each other and with toys. We cuddle, take naps together (when my other cats allow) and I pet them a lot. Today one of them was purring in my arms.

They'd want me to lie down a lot more for them to play near me or cuddle to sleep on me, but with full time work, housework, 5 house cats and 10 strays I feed and take care of, I'm always very busy..

I tried lavishing love and attention on my adult cats but it didn't help. They make a fuss to be let out of the house all the time and hardly agree to come back home when they're tired and hungry. I feel abandoned.

Are there any other things/concerns I should know or do?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, bless you for caring for them! I know it must be a terrible burden, but then again you just could not let them die out there alone. Hopefully you can get them fixed before releasing them again, if it comes to that. I am really hoping you will find homes for them. If they are not feral, and are cuddly, then I would think SOMEONE would want a baby to bring them some joy!!! I know in your area tensions are high so I hope you and your brood are well and comfortable! Prince and Nikita will get over this, I'm sure.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Youve done a wonderful thing. Esp since your in the middle east where attitudes towards animals arent like we have in US or Europe. We have support of lots of rescue organizations and animal lovers on the internet.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We have better laws of animal protection here than in the West, but they're hardly enforced. Eg, you have to actually take a photo of someone declawing their cat or relocating strays (both forbidden by law) for the police to take action. So it's useless. In the building where I live, half the neighbors worship me and the other half wish me dead.

Sorry for the off-topic, just a side comment.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
We have better laws of animal protection here than in the West, but they're hardly enforced. Eg, you have to actually take a photo of someone declawing their cat or relocating strays (both forbidden by law) for the police to take action. So it's useless. In the building where I live, half the neighbors worship me and the other half wish me dead.

Sorry for the off-topic, just a side comment.

Well, you know where you stand with us!! High five!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

I agree that if they could be spay/neutered, their lives would be a lot easier; even better if you could find a home for them.
At least they will know where "home' is and I bet you see them more often then not.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Senior Cat

How sure are you on their age? They sound a little advanced for four weekers. Maybe more like 6 weeks, if they're already running around the house and have the hang of a litterbox.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page