normal grooming ritual - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

normal grooming ritual

Hi,

I have 2 six-month old cats who are littermates, raised by mom w/ 4 other siblings before living with us. I have noticed that often before they groom each other they will make a large bite gesture to the other's neck before starting to groom the other one. Is this normal among cats? I was wondering if this is something the momma cat does before grooming her kittens to calm them down? This is the first time we've had 2 cats at a time, and I'm not used to observing other cats' behaviors. Just curious if anyone is familiar with this behavior. We refer to it as "aggressive grooming" at our house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Jr. Cat

That's interesting because my older boy cat will sometimes bite my younger girl cat before starting to groom her. I thought he was just showing his dominance or territory but maybe it's something more. I'm interested to see if anyone knows.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Cool Cat

I'm curious too as Munch does this to Mouse before grooming her (Mouse is a dog! ) I thought it was just him trying to get her to play but settling for grooming if she wasn't interested lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

My girls do that sometimes. And sometimes their grooming sessions turn into all out fights/wrestling matches.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

They both do it to each other and it is once at the beginning of the grooming session--to me it appears like a gesture to get the other one's attention or to tell them to calm down, I'm going to groom you now. Usually the other one is just sitting there minding their own business and the other puts their mouth wide around the other's neck...then the grooming begins. To me, it does not appear aggressive, but I have wondered for awhile if they got that move from the momma.

That would be funny to see a cat doing that to a dog! (ha) Glad to hear that this occurs with other cats and would still like to hear if anyone knows if the biting the neck before grooming is something they picked up from mom.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

My twins were found abandoned really young, so they didn't get this from their mom.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Marie...there goes my theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page