How to protect leather furniture from cat's scratching?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Smile How to protect leather furniture from cat's scratching??

So we have a crappy suade couch in our apartment that the cats have scratched up (with 2 cat scratchers 3 feet away from it) but we are getting a new leather couch this week. I've heard of sprays you can use to prevent the cats from scratching it.. But do they work? And can they be used on leather?

I've also heard of the double sided-tape theory but is that even good for the leather alone? And I'd like to keep it looking nice without any rediculous items stuck on there!

Advice??
Thank you!

Adrienne - Tuxedo Kitty Addict
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

You have a couch that your cats have already made mincemeat of and now you're getting a new leather couch?

Silly people!!!!!!

I don't know what to tell you besides covering it. My girls would punch holes in it from simply running across it and jumping up and down from it. Nothing even on purpose.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Banned

If your cats have claws, and they jump and play, you are in for damage.
We have a sure-fit cover over our leather sofa and still have a few scratches on it.
I hate having to cover a beautiful sofa, but I hate a ruined leather sofa even more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Cat Addict

There is no answer unless you lock your cats away. Getting cat scratching surfaces like multiple cat trees or those cardboard scratches can help, if you're desperate maybe you can try to set up motion sensor air horns... but in most cases your new couch will look like the old one pretty fast...

This is why I get furniture I don't really care about. Just last week Jasper sunk his hooks in my leather computer chair... looks like garbage now up close just from one 5 second session with his claws. I now have a blanket over the chair in case he ever tries again... which... is stupid. I won't buy leather again.

One of our pieces of furniture is a cushioned rocker we found in the back lane... hey, it looked brand new! Cat wrecks it? Well that sucks, but hey it was free. Most of our furniture is really old and already wrecked, that's the way to go! Give up on nice things and own nice (but slightly destructive) pets instead.

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have a leather office chair, but I got it really cheap off Craigslist so I don't (usually) cringe when they jump on the back of it to be by me while I'm on the computer. There are only a few pinholes on the top of the back, not too noticeable to anyone but me.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
You have a couch that your cats have already made mincemeat of and now you're getting a new leather couch?

Silly people!!!!!!

I don't know what to tell you besides covering it. My girls would punch holes in it from simply running across it and jumping up and down from it. Nothing even on purpose.
That was pretty much WORD FOR WORD what was going through my head as I read that post!! LOL

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Premier Cat

You don't.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for those who helped.

Others, the couch we are getting is FREE from my parents. The couch we have now has barely survived through 6 different college guys destroying it. Yes it's free but I'd still like it to not get ruined.

Adrienne - Tuxedo Kitty Addict
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Tom Cat

I know there is a bitter spray available at most pet stores that you could spray on the sides if they use it as a scratching post. It doesn't phase my cats (tried it on plants to stop them from chewing it down) but it may work on yours! Just a heads up, be sure to NOT BREATH IN while spraying! Literally made myself instantly sick with that mistake! Lol!

Also, you could try putting patches of foil on for a week or so so they break the habit of scratching. And if you do try the double sided tape (I really like Sticky Paws) test it out in a hidden area to be sure it won't damage leather.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Tom Cat

Also if you are ever in the market to purchase new furniture, I HIGHLY recommend Ikea! They have some seriously sturdy fabric options, and almost all of their furniture have slipcovers and whatnot so you can easily change fabrics with differing seasons (or for when they get damaged from kitties!)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page